store movies and view on tv

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by hankey, Dec 28, 2007.

1. hankey macrumors newbie

I would like to upload all my DVD's to a hard drive and be able to watch and scroll through them on my TV.
    I Have Apple TV but storage is not nearly enough. I have about 200 DVD's
    Can anybody suggest a way to do it? I would like to use coverflow

2. macdim macrumors 6502

Well to store all your DVDs, you will probably need a (or many) massive external hard drive(s) either connected to a networked PC that is always on, or connected to a base station (e.g. Airport Extreme). It will act as a network attached storage device and be available wirelessly. To get everything to show up on Apple TV, I'm not sure since I've never used one, but if it is anything like Front Row, the DVDs (ripped as Video_TS folder) should be available in the movies menu.

3. jasonliu macrumors newbie

this is what i've been doing (don't have an appletv): storing ripped movies on a network storage (my airport extreme is doing the serving, but i think a NAS or a serving computer would also work), have my old imac hooked up to my tv via DVI, create an alias of the location of the movies and put them into the imac's /home/movies folder, and i can access the movies via frontrow. not sure what you mean by coverflow, as far as i know there is no 10-foot interface of coverflow.

if you want to use your appletv, i suppose you can have you movies on your network storage, import them into itunes on your computer without copying the files, and stream from your computer to your apple tv.

note i'm compressing my dvds into a h.264 file, playable by quicktime. if you're justing ripping the dvds into Video_TS folders, you'll need a program like dvdassist for frontrow and probably some additional hacking for appletv.

4. macdim macrumors 6502

I know Front Row on Leopard recognizes Video_TS folders by default now. Not sure about Apple TV, though I doubt it.

5. frankiepdx macrumors regular

frankiepdx