Store or Online

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by lightguy531, Jul 7, 2009.

1. lightguy531 macrumors newbie

I'm either buying my MBP or ordering my MBP tomorrow (well later today technically)

I have to go to our good friends at the Apple Store and ask them some last minute questions.

Also, I'm sure they'll try to sell me the computer on the spot as opposed to ordering it online...
    -Do they do the hardware upgrades I'd like on the spot, or do I need to order online?
    -Do they install the software there as well?

Also, do you think there's anyway they could reduce the price maybe even by like $20 to benefit in store purchase rather than online purchase? (I doubt it, but my Dad said it won't hurt to ask)

2. spillproof macrumors 68020

spillproof

I asked at my store back in December and was given a No to your first 2 questions. They can install your software if you make a genius appointment, but that is a waste of your time.

They will not give you a discount for buying in-store or online.

If you want to customize, it is best to order online.

3. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

I think they MIGHT be able to install RAM for you on the spot, you may have to wait a couple of hours though depending on how busy they are.

However, they will not drop the price in any way. They don't care where you buy it, the money still goes to the same company.

4. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

The basic answer is you should buy online or by phone. The only way you get a lower price in the store is if you are buying an open box item, at that point I'd go to the refurb store.

5. lightguy531 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks... So maybe RAM, (I plan on going bright and early at 11am)

Software? Such as iWork and Final Cut Express? Will they sell it to me there at the student discount price? I wouldn't mind installing that myself if I could get it same price.

6. spillproof macrumors 68020

spillproof

I don't know where you live, but your school might have those programs at a discounted student price.

7. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

They might be able to offer you the upgrade if you ask. I asked to see if my Apple Store would upgrade the HDD on my MBP, they said no, too busy.

They should have the titles and be able to offer you the discount.

8. NStocks macrumors 65816

Telesales !

For me it has been great. I live about 80 miles away from a Apple store and didn't want to travel all that way, not to mention I don't get as big student discount or 3 years parts and labour by ordering through Higher Education.

I've had 3 15" unibody Macbook Pro's all had defects and I had them collected at my convenience, free of charge ( which is right anyway ), no hassle at all for me. I'm now sending my 17" Unibody away because the hinge is faulty, again they are collecting it for me and will deliver when it's repaired.

If I had purchased in-store then I would have had to go back to that store to get the 15" models exchanged ( I've since upgraded to the 17" )

9. canes960 macrumors 6502

Tell us how it went when u get back