Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

siam

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 1, 2007
Thailand
I have many Photo's all ready stored on my external HDD, and would like to keep them on my external HDD and not
install / store them on my iMac, just use the iMac to view them . Is there any way I can store / organize / edit
my photos just simple stuff , but from my external HDD ..?

Any Ideas ..?

Thanks

John Doe 57

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Yes it can be done.

I assume you are editing your photos with iPhoto? If so, just move your iPhoto Library to your External HD. I have 7 Libraries on my EX HD. Unless the HD is plugged in, iPhoto will not be able to find the libraries.

The iPhoto Library is located in your Home Folder -> Then in the Pictures Folder -> There is a file with the iPhoto logo which is the Library.

Hope this helps.

siam

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 1, 2007
Thailand
Hi , thanks for the comments , just a thought .. if the iPhto Library is stored on my external HDD and I use iPhoto to do some editing on my iMac , would any of the photo's edited be left some where on my iMac after ive removed my external HDD ..?

I wonder if theres some thing else other that iPhoto I can use that will not leave any thing thats been edited on my iMac ..?

So my Ideas is to store all my photos on my external HDD , edit the photos using some thing from my external HDD ,leave no photo's on my iMac after ive done editing or viewing them .

I can password lock my private information on my iMac, but not my photo's .

Any thoughts or ideas would be most welcome

Thanks

John Doe 57

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Well if I catch your drift, and I think that I do, you want to be able to edit your photos on your EX HD and leave no trace of the photos on the iMac.

This is exactly how I have it on my MacBook Pro. And yes, you can password protect your photos.

1. Download this Application: http://mac-free.com/download/LameSecure.html

This is a download link for an free Application called LameSecure. Don't let the name fool you, this is a great tool for completing the task you have.

2. Open LameSecure

3. It will ask you to Open a File or Folder on your system. Select the iPhoto Application that you want to password protect.

4. Select Both from the Password Protect menu:
Picture 1.png

5. Now enter a password for your file:
Picture 2.png

6. Click Update to apply the password

The iPhoto Application is now password protected and when opened, LameSecure will open and present a Password Entry box. Now, the box will only open if you open the iPhoto Application. If you open the Library, the password box will not appear. I don't think it is safe to apply the password protect on the actual library, but I could be wrong.

***NOTE, when a new iPhoto Update is released by Apple, the iPhoto Application can not be updated because of the protection. You must remove the protection before updating:

1. Open LS

2. Select the iPhoto Application

3. Click Remove and then Click Remove again:
Picture 3.png

4. After updating, complete the 1st line of steps to protect it again.

This is probably my longest post!

siam

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 1, 2007
Thailand
Well if I catch your drift, and I think that I do, you want to be able to edit your photos on your EX HD and leave no trace of the photos on the iMac.

This is exactly how I have it on my MacBook Pro. And yes, you can password protect your photos.

1. Download this Application: http://mac-free.com/download/LameSecure.html

This is a download link for an free Application called LameSecure. Don't let the name fool you, this is a great tool for completing the task you have.

2. Open LameSecure

3. It will ask you to Open a File or Folder on your system. Select the iPhoto Application that you want to password protect.

4. Select Both from the Password Protect menu:
View attachment 187467

5. Now enter a password for your file:
View attachment 187468

6. Click Update to apply the password

The iPhoto Application is now password protected and when opened, LameSecure will open and present a Password Entry box. Now, the box will only open if you open the iPhoto Application. If you open the Library, the password box will not appear. I don't think it is safe to apply the password protect on the actual library, but I could be wrong.

***NOTE, when a new iPhoto Update is released by Apple, the iPhoto Application can not be updated because of the protection. You must remove the protection before updating:

1. Open LS

2. Select the iPhoto Application

3. Click Remove and then Click Remove again:
View attachment 187470

4. After updating, complete the 1st line of steps to protect it again.

This is probably my longest post!

What Can I say , But only ... You are a Star ✷ ✷ ✷

so Thanks its much appreciated , I will post back how I get on.

Siam

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.