Stored Iphone 3G 8GB for 2 weeks now not charging

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by JCDes, Jan 9, 2010.

1. JCDes macrumors newbie

I had to leave town and did not need to take the phone with me so I left it at home for the 2 weeks I was gone. When I returned I knew there would be no charge so I plugged it in the wall charger and I saw the red battery icon with the lighting bolt so I left it there overnight (btw I live alone so I know the phone was not tampered with). When I woke up it was still on the same icon and not the green fully charged one as expected. I unplugged it and it just turned off. Now not even the red battery icon shows up when plugged... PC does not recognize it and tried other iphones on my chargers and they work just fine... Any ideas? I did try pressing home and plugging usb with itunes running and nothing. Also tried the mute button (up down up down) and power+home and nothing... I'm stumped!!! Any help would be appreciated.

2. upaymeifixit macrumors 6502a

upaymeifixit

Have you tried resetting it? (Power+Home for 10 seconds) If not try that while it's plugged in, and if that doesn't work it may have some hardware defect so you may want to run this one by the genius bar.

3. JCDes thread starter macrumors newbie

Yup tried it... Can this phone be so "sheet-e" for real??? I mean, battery lost charge due to not using it for 2 weeks. Came back, charged it (or at least I tried) and no go... :(

4. JCDes thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok I can confirm battery is not dead... Took it apart and used my battery on my cousin's 3G and works fine... Mine will just not turn on... Any ideas? I can take this in apart in no time so if anybody knows any hardware troubleshooters let me know I can try them on mine for the benefit of all...

5. pcs are junk macrumors 65816

that was the stupidest thing you could have done! you just voided your warranty and now you have to spend a few hundred dollars on a new one because of your self fixit method. no you cannot take apart your iphone because now when you go to the apple store, they will know its been taken apart, and say "well how do i know you didnt screw something up while you were in there" then you say "cuz i took it apart after it was doing this" then they say "how do i know that" etc. thats why you're not supposed to take it apart. now all you have left is to try some fixing guides, which i doubt will work because you probably need new hardware, which is extremely expensive and i doubt apple will provide it to you since you arent an authorized dealer. so now you completely ruined your phone. good job!

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, if its still under warranty you should not take it apart.
    If you try exchanging it thru Apple they're going to be able to tell its been opened up and they wont bother with it.

7. JCDes thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm a 36 year old engineer with over 14 years experience in delicate electronic equipment and believe me this is not a delicate equipment by any means it is very sturdy and I never said any of the phones were new... Thanks for your rude and off-topic answer... That really helped to bring it back to life...

Did you even read the first post????

Just in case here it is:

I had to leave town and did not need to take the phone with me so I left it at home for the 2 weeks I was gone. When I returned I knew there would be no charge so I plugged it in the wall charger and I saw the red battery icon with the lighting bolt so I left it there overnight (btw I live alone so I know the phone was not tampered with). When I woke up it was still on the same icon and not the green fully charged one as expected. I unplugged it and it just turned off. Now not even the red battery icon shows up when plugged... PC does not recognize it and tried other iphones on my chargers and they work just fine... Any ideas? I did try pressing home and plugging usb with itunes running and nothing. Also tried the mute button (up down up down) and power+home and nothing... I'm stumped!!! Any help would be appreciated.

The battery swap was done last night with the problem already on hand and none of the phones were damaged... Mine still does the same and the other one works perfectly...

Now to get back on topic... Battery is good and tested but phone still gives no signs of life. I have years of experience taking apart equipment far more advanced than this phone so I do know what I'm doing and know how to work with sensitive electronic equipment and have the tools for doing so (not the ebay plastic baby toy kit they sell)...

If anybody cares about trying to fix this issue that many people are having (without trying to be my accountant and telling how much I have to spend or not like if I ever said I did not have the money to buy a new one) I'm putting my phone up for expirimenting... This is for the sake of learning not saving money... BTW I could care less what apple thinks about what I do with my freaking phone, it's mine not theirs so they can suck it...

8. pcs are junk macrumors 65816

yeah, you may be a 36 year old engineer, but you are not a 36 year old apple authorized engineer.

9. ARF900 macrumors 65816

ARF900

Yeah but agian you fail to read his whole post, the phone is not new, it has no warranty. Hes got nothin to lose taken it apart. You called apple right OP?

10. pcs are junk macrumors 65816

even it was out of warranty, im sure apple would have done something to help him.

11. dvdhsu macrumors 6502a

dvdhsu

I think you're delusional.

Did you try using the battery from the other iPhone?

12. JCDes thread starter macrumors newbie

Keep sucking on that apple kid... I fixed it...

13. ARF900 macrumors 65816

ARF900

Care to share how?

14. JCDes thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes I did... But was still the same... Then it came to mind that was having to press the home button quite hard lately... So I took a closer look at the connections whete the two halves of the phone meet and noticed that on the button half of the phone (front half) there are two small metal pieces that make the connection from one half to the other half (button to main board) those little things are very fragile so I just soldered two wires connecting them to their respective destinations on the other half of the phone. Closed it back and did the reset and there it was the apple logo then my phone was back alive and no effort needed to when pressing home...

Again this was my case not everybody might have the same problem but it turns out that the home button was not making contact so the reset was not taking place...

Again thanks for your input and if there's anything that my 36 year old non-apple engineer ass can do to help you guys let me know... BTW does apple have a university where engineers go to become apple-specific engineers???? LOL... Circuits are circuits... BTW this is one shee-tee circuit, I wonder if it would not have been better to install spring type connections instead of flat flaps of metal which can break and get loose inside the phone causing a short... But then again I'm no apple engineer... I'm just a plain engineer...

Have a good one guys...

15. pcs are junk macrumors 65816

you very well could be an apple engineer, you fixed your phone. great. but apple has not authorized you to take this device apart. you did it without authorization, thus voiding your warranty, which was already out so it doesnt matter. but now look at your friends phone! you disassembled that and when you're not there to fix it, he cant bring it to apple!

16. dvdhsu macrumors 6502a

dvdhsu

Okay.
    I really don't know what your problem is. What's the point of flaming threads like these?
    Jesus, you're a 14 year old, (He actually says this in another thread), who needs to learn what the world is like. Just because I'm not employed by Apple doesn't matter. If I'm worth my salt, I'm better than any "Genuis". All they do is give you new phones. They don't know a thing about electricity.

You need to grow up, and get a lot more mature.

17. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

The guy has the talent (and the tools) to peform the tasks necessary to fix iPhones. I say go for it.

I have 3 cars. Just because I'm not an authorized dealer doesn't mean I don't fix them.

18. pcs are junk macrumors 65816

why do the cars need fixing? do you break something else when u try to fix something in there?

19. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

Grow up.

20. pcs are junk macrumors 65816

im sorry but according to you, I'm "really pathetic", so i cant.

21. Nick-m macrumors newbie

Pcs WTF

Pcs are Junk : Since the post was about how to fix a charging problem and not about the legitimacy of opening the damn thing, I wonder why the hell do you post stuff like that for. Do you think it's clever or helping anyone. Why do you even check this thread if you don't need it ? Too much spare time ? Anyway ...

Thanks a lot JCdes. Your problem does sound like mine but I don't recall any home button issues. Aldo, I will definitely check for any sign of broken connections. What's the Mute (up-down-up-down) stand for ?