Stores that clean sensors in store?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by TimJim, Aug 4, 2008.

1. TimJim macrumors 6502a

You guys know of any places that do a sensor cleaning in the store. I have a lot of dust which my blower cant get. I'm leaving on the 10th for China and would like to have no dust obviously. I've called a couple local camera stores but they all send them out which doesn't work for me. If none do it in the store i'll probably have to get swabs with expedited shipping.

2. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

Any smaller camera store should do it. Chains like Ritz won't. I can think of 5 off the top of my head that do it in store in Seattle.

3. Vster macrumors 6502

I could use a location too, Ritz wants to send if off for 4 weeks.

4. seenew macrumors 68000

seenew

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Exactly. Save your pennies, buy the right kit and schedule a once a year cleaning/tune up type appointment.

6. Dan Lorth macrumors member

do it yourself. compressed air with as little humidity as possible, under 45 PSI and dont stick it too close to the mirror box and youre golden.

7. iGary Guest

iGary

Not really good advice. Almost all canned compressed air (which is what most people have access to) has propellant in it that gets all over the sensor.

Google "Copperhill, sensor swipe." It's very easy and very effective.

8. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Which is what my "link" shows. ;)
    /runs

9. iGary Guest

iGary

Ah good. I loves me some Copperhill. Good stuff.

10. valdore macrumors 65816

valdore

I'm ready to take my 5D to the observation deck of the nearest skyscraper and heave it off the ledge. I use both the Copper Hill kit in addition to the Arctic Butterfly, but I still have filth show up on my sensor despite it - which has something to do with the fact that I do so much HDR work. HDR really will accentuate sensor filth.

11. Dan Lorth macrumors member

it's actually still very good advice because I didnt say canned compressed air anywhere in my statement. Almost everyone I know has a 5 gal. compressed air tank in their garage to top off their tires/clean things/ blow little kids away. With that you dont have to spend bucks on anything copper hill makes and you can do it in 10 seconds in your garage instead of 10 minutes doing a science project on your camera.

Oh hey and valdore, 5D's actually had a problem when they were new (as im sure yours reletively is) where they would leak very minute amounts of oil that would end up as specks on the sensor. Best way to clean that is to take advantage of your 1 year warranty and send it to Irvine.