Stores that say to wait...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MowingDevil, Sep 14, 2008.

1. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

There's been a couple of stores reported on these boards that have been advising people to wait for the updated MacBook Pros....I don't really understand how thats good business. Seriously, if they have product and people want it...and its good product, then why advise against a purchase? If the update was within a week or so (or "a few days") then I would applaud them for being so honest. Since those stores are in the same boat as most of us, anticipating a new release but ultimately having no evidence of when the update will come it doesn't make sense to me. People who are determined to get the latest update will have looked online & seen the rumour sites. Some people just want a tool that is high end and will run their software and do the job...ie aren't obsessed w/ the latest updates.

We now have Oct 14th as the 'next guaranteed' release date....much like July-Aug whatever & Sept 9th...and 15th. There's also rumours that it won't happen then and could be pushed back as far as Jan for the MacWorld event. If either of these does happen would that have been good advice (back in AUGUST) for people not to buy but to wait?

I read somewhere that the reason there was a shortage at the end of Aug was Apple tends to hold onto more stock to meet the student discount deals that come in. Its actually not an indication of a new pending release for that time of year. Does the fact that its over soon mean they'll be releasing more MBPs to retailers?

2. steamed.hams macrumors 6502

steamed.hams

Most people who work at computer stores don't see a dime from any purchases. If they don't get any commission, then the sales associates don't get harmed from spreading flaky rumours they read on the interwebs.

3. MowingDevil thread starter macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

I'm not talking employees, its the stores themselves (ie that one in New Zealand....and I believe the other one was in the Netherlands? There's been at least 2 reported on here about 2 weeks ago or more.

4. r0flmonster macrumors newbie

When I went into the apple store to buy my Macbook, I probably asked like everyone in the store(employee's I mean lol) if they would wait, or just go ahead and buy a macbook now. Everyone had no clue what I was talking about, lol. The person that actually sold me the macbook looked at me so weird and he told me that, he doesn't know why Apple would update them now because "these machines are great..." So idk..lol just my .02

5. im_noahselby macrumors member

Well, if stores only have a limited quantity of units to sell before the new refresh comes, I think it would make sense to inform the people who are on the edge because they've heard of new units coming, to wait it out a few more weeks and focus instead on selling the last of their stock to buyers who genuinely don't care or don't know about the impending update. Those customers who are hesitant or unsure about buying now, due to the impending update, will almost certainly come back to return the notebook at even the slightest sign of an update or announcement and if a store sells most of their remaining stock to buyers like this, they will have returns galore to deal with in the weeks to come. Given the choice, I'd choose to focus selling my remaining MBP's to buyers who don't care or know about the upcoming updates, as they are the one's who are least likely to come back and return these machines.

6. MowingDevil thread starter macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

But dontcha think that buyers who are obsessed w/ the next update are going to know full well it could happen soon anyways? ...if they *knew* updates were imminent I'd agree with you (I said as much in my op)...but they know squat more than we do here. What happens if the updates don't come soon? ...then what was the point of waiting? For all we know the delay is completely related to the nVidia crisis. Who knows how long it could push it back?

7. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

Im sure some stores want to keep their loyal customers happy by letting them know something better is coming in a few weeks rather than having them be disappointed

8. AlienSexGod macrumors member

AlienSexGod

You want a good reason to wait? ALL MacBook Pros have flawed Nvidia 8600M processors that overheats and are likely to cause crashes.

NVidia's stock has plummeted as a result of this revelation.

9. BigHungry04 macrumors 6502

Every company's stock has plummeted as a result of the current economy. NVidia just dropped more because of the issue.

10. Afini macrumors member

11. TheCookie macrumors regular

TheCookie

You're kidding, right? Or are you aware that this is a drastic oversimplification of the issue?

12. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Nvidia is still a hot topic, I see. And presumably, will continue to be so until it is resolved, (replaced), or dealt with on an individual basis.

Back on thread, stores that are honest and upfront with their customers are stores that will win customers' respect. Personally, I prefer to be given an honest appraisal of what to do, such as to wait, than hear sales speak. It also means that when the store does tell me something is good, worth waiting for, worth buying, I am more likely to believe them and to seriously consider a purchase.
    Cheers

13. jhamerphoto macrumors regular

Indeed.

14. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Sorry, but my GPU does not overheat and crash. Well not yet; *knock on wood*

15. mladenz macrumors regular

emailed 5 dutch apple stores, and not 1 didn't know if they should advise me to buy or wait.

16. Firefly2002 macrumors 65816

He was either BSing you or a complete moron.

17. mct74 macrumors member

lol - that was punny :)

18. BigHungry04 macrumors 6502

Mine hasn't either. I will not knock on wood though.

19. AlienSexGod macrumors member

AlienSexGod

Well good for you. My point is it would be crazy to buy a highend laptop with a KNOWN flaw.

I bet I could easily make your MBPro crash ... it's winter down under ...run a heater in your office and run numerous cpu intensive tasks for a few hours ... certain lockup ... a white MacBook passes with flying colours.... a Pro blows...

Everyone praises Steve but rarely criticises him... if I were in charge the GPU would have been changed on new builds months ago and Mac Pros would have a redesigned fast memory system or gone to 45Nm Quad cores overclocked to a stable 4Ghz ages ago with 1066Mhz memory with fast busses

20. SilverRubicon macrumors member

It will crash if you soak a MBP in vinegar too.

The GPU issue isn't Steve's (or Michael Dell's, or Lenovo's, or Sony's), it's Nvidia's. If I were in charge of Apple I'd hand out flying pony's and ice cream. See, we can both live in fantasy land.

21. svndmvn Guest

would there be a black/silver option on the flying ponies?

22. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

That wouldn't necessarily stop an employer (i.e. the store) from firing salespeople that don't do their jobs, which is to sell. In the years of experience I've had as a salesperson (even commissioned), never once has it been considered okay to tell customers not to buy something you sold, in the eyes of the manager. In order to keep my code of morals intact, I found discrete ways to do so.

Now, if a store with a conscience didn't want to sell a potentially flawed product, they would probably pull it off the shelf. But a big box store wouldn't do this unless there was an official recall from the manufacturer (yeah, we're still waiting). Regardless, they're sitting on MBP inventory that has to be sold. Even affected PCs are in limbo because there's no recalls on that side of the computing world, either.

But the point is again, there's still no recall. Apple says everything is fine, so the stores think everything is fine by extension. This happens with cars too. That's what warranties are for. And in the past, Apple has been pretty good about taking care of customers in the event of hardware recalls, even out of factory warranty.