Stories of Mac conversion

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by johngardiner, Jun 26, 2008.

1. johngardiner macrumors regular

Hey guys, wanted to tell everyone a bit about my family's rapid change from Windows based computers to Macs. The last one we bought was an iMac so I figured I might as well just post it here!

So basically I've wanted a Mac for a really long time. I bought a new HP laptop about 2.5 years ago and regretted it almost immediately as I knew I should have just sprung and bought a Macbook. Since that time I've been waiting for it to crap out on me so I could justify buying a new Mac. My mom's laptop was a bit older, and earlier this year it started acting up on her, and was extremely slow. After talking to my dad about it I suggested that we splurge and get her a new Macbook for mothers day, so we did. She called me immediately after turning it on and checking out Leopard. "It's just so easy!" was her first review. She was hooked. She's the perfect Mac candidate, the one all the commercials talk about. She loves music and buys all her new songs off iTunes, uses her digital camera allllll the time so has been using iPhoto to sort and manage her pictures, and iMovie for the occasional video she takes.

About a month after she got her Macbook my HP started getting a bunch of problems, the display wouldn't turn on when it was booted up, and I was getting a ton of bluescreens from Windows Vista. Finally I had enough and decided that was the time to make my own switch. So I bought a new Macbook Pro 15 inch with my student discount that Futureshop kindly matched. Like my mom I was extremely impressed with Leopard. I wrote a more detailed review on the Macbook Pro forums so I won't get into a big description here, but it just made multi-tasking on the computer so much easier and user friendly.

Finally my parents were looking at getting a new computer for our cabin. I pointed my mom in the direction of the iMac. What we currently had there was a full tower, monitor and external drive setup, and she truely couldn't believe that Apple had made a computer that fit behind the screen. She went down to futureshop to check it out herself, and bought one on the spot. Yesterday she set it up at the cabin (and when I say setup, I mean plug in the power cord and keyboard haha... they bought a wireless mouse aswell). They called me last night and said... "that does it, we're converted!". Even my dad who still needs instructions on copy and paste can use it with ease. When they first opened up the mouse box my mom said she couldn't find the drivers disc... but then she realized all she had to do was turn it on... "amazing!"

Anyways that's the short form of the story. It might make it seem like Apple has changed our lives haha, but in all honesty they have. Now I can easily screen share through iChat when they have issues, have 3 way video chats etc, all with a few clicks. I do realize this is all possible within windows as well, but the simplicity of OSX and the included software really has made it a breeze.

If anyone else has a similar story please share! I love reading them!

2. nando2323 macrumors 6502a

:)

I converted a year ago almost to Apple products in general. I got my iMac in August of last year, and I love it. It's hands down the best computer I have ever owned period. I cannot imagine ever going back to windows again.

Last week I just converted a friend of mine to Apple he bought a 20" iMac and it's arriving at his doorstep any moment now. I assured him and his wife that they would be 100% satisfied with their purchase. Their windows PC started to reboot on it's own and lock up last week even after I rebuilt the thing, something wrong with the MOBO I think.

My mother's birthday is coming up soon, so my sister and brother and I, are all going to chip in and buy her a macbook. I can't wait to see her face when she gets it.

My favorite part of owning a Mac is the fact that I have had mine for almost a year now, and the performance has not degraded at all. It is just as fast now as it was when I got it back in August, and I have installed a crap load of apps and stuff since. How do they do it? 20-30 boot ups and 3 second shutdowns, always never more unless it's an update, freaking amazing.

I love Macs they are so cool and intuitive and awesome. :apple: FTW

3. iammike1 macrumors 6502a

iammike1

The iPhone is what broke me into the world of Apple.

I had been interested in them for quite some time but never did buy one. When the iPhone came out, I waited a good number of months before I finally bought one after playing with a friends iPhone.

So I was so impressed with what Apple was able to do with the iPhone with it being their first moble OSX, first moble phone, etc. I came from the world of HTC and Palm and I've never looked back.

Soon after I bought a Mac Mini and within a week, I was so sold on it, I talked to the store and asked if I could pay the restocking, swap out and upgrade to my iMac. They were gracious enough to let me do that and I came home with my 2.4 20" Alu iMac.

A few months after that I purchased a 2.4 15" MBP.

I replaced an HTC Smartphone, custom built PC tower and an HP laptop and I don't regret it for one second.

4. mslide macrumors 6502a

Up until a few years ago, I hated Macs and for no really good reason since I had never spent any good amount of time using one. All through high school and college, I couldn't understand why someone would buy a machine where something as simple as upgrading a graphics card couldn't be done. I then got a job where I was traveling a lot and a few of my co-workers had Macs. All I had to do was use one for a little while, have my friend show me some things, and I was hooked. It was the perfect mix of having something that was so intuitive to use, yet it still satisfied the power-user in me. My wife really wanted me to buy a Macbook because she liked that it included the iSight camera, so we could video-chat while I was away. It was only a matter of time before I wanted to replace our home desktop computer with an iMac, which I did when the Alu iMacs came out.

I'm not one of those who totally shun Windows machines. They have their place and applications, as do linux machines, but for general-purpose computing, Macs are great for me. People ask me all the time why I like Macs so much and I can't really give them a straight answer. It's a whole bunch of little things that do it for me.

edit: The only thing I don't like about using Macs is that there are still some idiot web designers out there who haven't figured out how to make a web site that doesn't require Internet Explorer. Oh well, small price to pay.

5. imac123 macrumors regular

as a recent switcher from windows to the new imacs (been just a couple of months now), I think the main reasons I didn't like macs before were:

- honestly, I think the previous iMac designs are kinda ugly or cheap-looking. the new alu casing looks more expensive and elgant.

- limited upgradability. as someone who built their PCs, this was a hard one to overcome, but eventually I thought 'hmm i'll just have to get the top of the line or close to it then it'll be ok =P'

- the MOUSE - wow, those old one button mice w/o right click or scrolling drove me nuts

finally, and probably most importantly...
    - program compatability. after finally reading about how boot camp and vmware fusion could be used with GOOD reliability, I decided 'why not'.

added bonuses - OS X has some nice features not seen in windows (expose, dashboard, spaces), 24" glossy display is awesome, built in i-sight is great (would have NEVER have got a webcam for my PC, but now I use it all the time on skype/ichat)

6. vansouza macrumors 68000

vansouza

My Story

Well, since we are telling our coming out stories, here is mine.
    It all started with the iPod. My frustration was growing by the hour with windows not getting along well with my iTunes library and because I had such a huge investment in PC equipment I decided to get the Mac mini. As with the posters above mine, I could not believe how easy it all was. Next I got an iMac then a MBP and then another iMac then a MB. Now I am being tempted by the MBA and Mac Pro. God help me... I also got more iPods and iPhones. I finally converted my partner to a MBP after his unhappy experiences with "upgrading" to Vista. Now that HP just sits doing not much of anything.

Well that is the very short version of our conversion to Apple. :cool::apple:

7. Thomas Davie macrumors 6502

1975-1980: Imsai Slicer (not really sure about the date, it was a while ag0)
    1981-1994: numerous PC's
    1994-96: Mac Plus, LC2, LC475 and Powerbook 150
    1998-2008: numerous PC's

Somewhere in 2003ish, I bought an iPod, and then an iPod nano, and then an iPod Touch, and then I gave a desktop and laptoip to my girlfriend so I could pick up an iMac. Just brownian motion along the computer purchasing highway really.

Tom

8. NSNick macrumors regular

My university uses Cisco Clean Access to make sure the PCs have windows updates and antivirus software. Macs just have to authenticate in the browser. If i have my mac mini connected to the same router as the PCs and have it authenticate, the university's network thinks every computer behind the router is a mac and it no longer requires the PCs to install Cisco Clean Access. That is why i bought a mac.

9. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

Interesting thread.

My first Apple product was the iPhone back in October 2007. The experience with the iPhone basically "woke me up".

By December I had an iMac and never looked back. Soon after I had a Macbook, Apple TV and a Time Capsule.

Right now I'm working on my Dad. His Windows machine is crapping out so I'm trying to talk him into a iMac or at least a Mac Mini. I'm pretty sure I can sell him since I purchased a iPhone for him last November. Wish me luck. :)

10. duncyboy macrumors 6502a

This thread's a good read. So many moments other people have had on here that tally with my own, quite eerie!

I've had all-sorts of computers over the years primarily for gaming: ZX Spectrum, Commodore Amiga and then about 9 years ago I got into PC's. My uncle gave me a REALLY old PC and a guy I worked with knew PC's inside out and walked me through upgrading bit by bit. I've always built my own PC's and had some good little set-ups over the years but looking back I was endlessly locked in a cycle of upgrading. New PSU, new mobo, then graphics, then RAM... I'd upgrade something then something else would be a bottleneck. And ye GODS it was NOISY! :eek:

From late summer last year through to Christmas/New Years I had nothing but hassle with my PC. Endless blue screens, lost boot files and reinstalls of XP Pro. In hindsight it was either the RAM or mobo but I'd had enough. I can't remember what put the idea "Get a Mac" in my head- I think a guy on another forum suggested it.

I started looking at the entry-level Mini but that didn't have a DVD burner, so I eyed up the next model. Then my monitor began to cave in and after pricing up a Mac RAM upgrade for a Mini (Call me Mr Unadventurous but I wasn't about to take a palette knife to a brand new piece of £500 hardware!!!) and a monitor, keyboard and mouse I realised an iMac would be ideal.

I asked general questions on Mac forums and took a couple of trips to the Apple Store at the Trafford Centre and was sold. Took me about 3 months of Overtime to save for it but it's the best money I've ever spent. I'm coming up on 3 months of ownership and I fricking love this machine. The design, the sheer compact size, the near-silence, the screen, the great multi-tasking, Leopard, Spaces, iMovie, QuickLook... I love it.

I still have an old HTPC running Windows Media Centre and that stands me OK for just general movie playback (AVI's and DVD's) but that will eventually get replaced by either an upscaling DVD player and Apple TV or a Mac Mini.

My experience with Apple hasn't been flawless. There's a few wrinkles that need ironing, my two main Apps (Opera and Vue 6) are Windows' poor cousin to the developers (not Apple's fault obviously) and there are certain things Leopard does that irk me sometimes but this is all minor- overall I love my iMac and am a Mac fan for life.

Like others above me I'm going to try and convert family and friends to Mac now. My mate's interested in a MacBook Pro for DV editing already having seen iMovie. Wonder if I could get my sister and brother-in-law a Mini for Christmas this year? :D

11. xxbrankxx macrumors member

I haven't purchased my Mac yet but I plan on it in about a week or 2. I'm interested in purchasing the 24" 3.06 GHz iMac. I've been using Windows since Windows 95 came out and have used 98, 98SE, Me, 2000, XP Home/Pro, and currently Vista at a friend's house ::shudders::. I really had no problems using XP Home as my main OS on my Dell that I have been using since 2004 but lately I've been getting a lot of problems that I just can't fix or find fixes for. I could always format the hard drive and re-install XP Home but I'm just getting kinda tired of Windows. Installing any version of Vista has never striked me as something I would ever do cause Vista is a god-awful hot mess. I think now is a good time to switch to a Mac imo. Some of the Windows annoyances I can't stand are the viruses, adware, spyware, my pc using 100% CPU usage outta nowhere, iTunes stopping the play of music cds when I minimize then maximize, iTunes playback is choppy sometimes when simple multi-tasking, Internet Explorer's javascript decided to just stop working one day and now I can't check certain websites that use Javascript (and yes I have it enabled) so now I use Firefox and IE, Windows Media Player not playing the video in sync with sound (and yes I have a ton of codecs installed), Acrobat Reader randomly crashing, volume lowering itself randomly, NOD32 icon disappearing randomly, double left click not responding sometimes, Windows not letting me remove my iPod/hard drives whenever I'm ready to do it (please try again later message...wtf?), long boot up times, Windows freezing my iPod sometimes when trying to use iTunes upon connecting, today's date not showing up when I point to clock sometimes, etc. I'm just sooo done with Windows I can't stand it. I plan on doing a lot of music production (Reason, ProTools, GarageBand, etc) on the iMac I purchase and I just really can't picture me doing it with ease on this Windows machine. I got a 3 GHz Pentium 4 with 3GB RAM, 3 HDDs, and a so-so video card but I don't plan on upgrading this again. This will be the first Mac I owned. I've owned a Apple II/e back in the early 90s when I was around 11 years old. But other than that I've only owned 4 Windows based pcs since 1995. So this story isn't really about why I switched, it's about why I'm switchING and can't wait to do so.

12. drossad macrumors regular

I just got my first Mac 3 weeks ago. I love it! I had been looking at switching to Mac and investigating them for about a year. I had been using an HP laptop that is now our home computer. When I first got my MBP I was a little worried about whether it was really a wise decision to spend the money and didn't know if it would really work for me to be the lone Mac user at my job. First day I took it into my office it proved itself:
    1. My co-workers and I had not been able to get on the wifi (with PC laptops) for about 2 weeks and figured it wasn't working.
    Turned on my Mac and it hopped right on with no problem.
    2.We had just gotten a new printer/copier for everyone in the office to print from. Therefore our tech guy had to set all our computers to be visible on a network. And then we had to install the driver CD-ROM on all our PCs and each one took about 10 min (and these are all newer PCs under a year old).
    My mac automatically recognized and joined the network, and downloaded the drivers in 30 seconds wirelessly.
    Just two simple examples of the many reasons why Macs rule. Best money i have ever spent. Now I just need to talk my wife into an iMac or Mini for home.

13. fredsarran macrumors 6502

fredsarran

A colleague told me about Apple, 8 years ago, and how better looking and more reliable they are compared to a PC with Windows. I checked his now old iMac and I like it. What kept me away from Mac, it is the price tag and the fact that I did not have the money.

My Medion laptop with Windows kept crashing, and I lost tons of video editing work.

I suddenly got enough money to buy my first Mac that was a iBook G4. Realized that it was not that powerful, and the fact that the MacBook came out just after I bought my iBook G4, I sold my iBook and bought the low end MacBook. Kept it and later bought fully upgraded MacBook Pro. Then, because I was not that mobile after all, got the best imac ever.

I love Apple Mac computers. Undecided for there other products. I have an iPhone but hate the price plans with O2 and there terms and conditions.

Viva la Vida :apple:

14. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

i converted back in 1999. Through primary school i was around macs daily. But in 1999 my friends dad, had a old SE/30 lying around at home. I said i was interested in the machine which he gave to me. About a year later from the same person i was given a Quadra 605 with colour screen and system 7.5 which was later upgraded to 7.6

I went away from macs in 2002 - 2004. 2005 is when i bought my first real mac. All the previous ones were used and given to me and i was very limited in what i could do with them. It was a Mac Mini G4 1.25ghz 256 and a 4200RPM 40 gig hdd. I used this for a year then i bought the Macbook 13inch. Which i am using now. 2007 i bought a second hand powerbook g4 to stuff around with, my macbook cost me about 2800 australian (yeah i no ripped) i didn't want pull my macbook around every where so i thought if thte powerbook gets broken it's not a problem.

15. SuperCompu2 macrumors 6502a

SuperCompu2

Although I had used Macs through elementary school, and even a little after, I consider my switch to have happened in 2005. This was after seeing/using an iMac G4.

First Mac purchase in 2005 was a used iMac G3, then I got a G4 PowerBook. It's been great ever since!

16. iSpoody 1243 macrumors 6502

mine is quite simple

i got vista :D
    maya worked like a pile of sh*t on it :mad:
    got frustrated when i realized i had to get 64 bit vista for it to recognize my 4 gb of ram :eek: :mad: :eek:
    even less stuff worked on 64 bit vista than 32 bit vista :mad: :rolleyes: :mad:
    been using macs on the odd occasion for years and decided to get one cause of how well i remember maya working on it :cool:
    2 month and 4 grand later i got a mac pro ;) :) :D
    absolutely in love with it :) :) :)

17. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I wanted a small, powerful and light laptop so I bought the 12" PowerBook. At the time it was incredible.

Now I buy them because I need OSX, but I also need XP and I don't want to buy 2 different computers.

18. mikeypizano macrumors member

Well, I haven't been converted yet but should be soon. :rolleyes:

My friend is going to be sending me an 80GB 5.5G iPod soon and then later, if he ever makes up his mind and gets a new Mac, I get an old 1.6GHZ CD Mini. :p

19. MacFanatic08 macrumors member

I made my switch in January 2007 (iBook G3 500) because I was so impressed with my iPod. Now, I have a PB G4, iMac G5, PM G5, TiBook, PB G3 Pismo.

Gotta love Apple. :)

20. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

Well I've used macs since i was born. However, I have pretty much gotten all my friends to hate there PCs and they are all ready to set out and buy a mac as there next computer (college in a couple years so I smell lots of new macs in my group of friends).

21. MinorBidoh macrumors 6502

MinorBidoh

After the iPod mini was released, I remember my sixth form common room was full various ipods within a couple of months. My first 3Gen iPod was a great starting point in terms of usability and functionality. A media teacher kindly brought in his 17" iMac G4 and the media class were besotted by it. A computer than few of us had seen or even heard about was stunning. The teacher created a user account for us to try the OS and get an idea of how it performs, it was bliss.

Later in the year my (at that time) girlfriend lent me her iBook 12"G4 for watching dvds on a 24hour coach trip and with that time I confirmed my love for the OS and set about the apple store after my trip. The mac mini was very popular although the iMac 20" had just had a memory and HDD bump so I was sold. Since its arrival, Ive never looked back to windows and their somewhat nasty looking grey boxes. I like looking at pretty things, apple makes pretty things.