Storing an Apple Watch for a few months...

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by woodynorman, Apr 9, 2018.

1. woodynorman macrumors 6502a

I wont be using my Apple Watch for a few months at least. Whats the best way to store it?

Leave it on the charger, or let it die?

2. dfine1966 macrumors 6502

How about shutting it off. You do know it shuts off.
    Press and hold the side button until you see the Power Off slider.
    Drag the slider to turn off your device.

3. woodynorman thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ha! Seems so obvious now! Ive never powered it down before. I think I will charge it completely first, then power off.

4. DoubleFlyaway macrumors 6502a

DoubleFlyaway

This is where we all start to guess why. Are you going into space?

5. Gathomblipoob macrumors 601

Gathomblipoob

Perhaps undergoing some interdimensional travel?

6. DoubleFlyaway macrumors 6502a

DoubleFlyaway

Going to live in an underwater colony?

7. dave006 Contributor

dave006

Follow these tips from Apple:

When storing Apple Watch long term, two main factors will affect the battery's overall health:
    • The environmental temperature, and;
    • The percentage charge that remains on the battery when you turn off your watch, ready for storage.
    Apple recommends the following:
    • Do not fully charge or fully discharge your Apple Watch - charge it only to around 50%. (If you store a device when the battery is fully discharged, the battery could fall into a "deep discharge state", leaving it incapable of holding a charge. On the other hand, if you store it fully charged for a long time, the battery may lose some of its capacity, resulting in shorter battery life).
    • Turn off your watch to avoid additional battery use: press and hold the side button until you see the Power Off slider, then drag the slider to turn it off.
    • Store your watch in a cool, moisture-free environment with a temperature lower than 32° C (90° F).
    • If you plan to store your watch for longer than six months, charge it to 50% every six months.
    When you turn your watch back on, it may go directly into Power Reserve mode. To exit this mode, charge your watch, then press and hold the side button until the Apple logo appears.

More information: https://www.apple.com/batteries/maximizing-performance/

Dave

8. woodynorman thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dave006 thanks for the info!

I wish I had a good story, but I don't. I took a bad fall and fractured 6 vertebrae in my back. I'm mostly bed ridden for a few months. I'm not working, and really have no need for the Apple Watch for a while.

Right now, I'm actually enjoying wearing my nice "dress" watches I haven't worn in a long time.

9. DoubleFlyaway macrumors 6502a

DoubleFlyaway

Awww. :( I'm so sorry to hear that!

10. Gathomblipoob macrumors 601

Gathomblipoob

Ouch. Here's wishing you a great recovery.

11. woodynorman thread starter macrumors 6502a

Its giving me plenty of time to spend here on Macrumors!

12. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

The information That was provided to you in Post #7 is accurate and correct from Apple. In short, lithium batteries will naturally deplete when they are not charged or regularly used, so it’s not something to be overly concerned with if they deplete somewhat, but you don’t want to allow the Apple Watch Battery to deplete and stay depleted. Because sometimes what can happen is, after a while the Apple Watch has not been charged, the battery may never fully recover or charge back to its normal state. Its Best if you can charge it every so often to keep the battery regulated and healthy.

13. iPhysicist macrumors 65816

iPhysicist

This is true but it would take severel month to drain completely and factor that time for it to take damage. The decharging process is not linear but goes with e^-(t/tau). I would guess a healthy watch can survive 2 years without problem. It will be depleted by then of course but not damaged.