Storing an iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rapidj, Sep 3, 2008.

1. rapidj macrumors regular

I'm purchasing a used first gen iPhone from a friend and plan to give it to my son for Christmas. Since it won't be in use for three months, any suggestions for keeping the battery fresh, or anything else I should be aware of. I figured I would restart it every couple of weeks and give it a full charge. Thoughts?

2. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

Check warranty and replace it at genius bar before it ends. Do whatever you want with it in the meantime.

3. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Like any electronic device, turn it OFF (not screen sleep) for long term storage. Maybe charge once a month.

Jeez, what you mentioned is only for defective batteries, only if you are under the proper plan, and if the phone is under the first year warranty or have purchased Apple Care for iPhone.

4. rapidj thread starter macrumors regular

Fairly certain this was purchased a year ago June. As far as I know, there is no issue with the phone, so not sure why I would replace it. I just want to keep the battery fresh.

5. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

6. rapidj thread starter macrumors regular

That's cool, not my plan, but appreciate the suggestion.

7. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Whatever you do, don't store the iphone in the mouth of camel. That is very bad for iphones.

8. rapidj thread starter macrumors regular

Just what I wanted to do. Give my kid an iPhone covered in camel spit. A used iPhone at that. Why don't I just give an iTouch in camel urine while I'm at it :)

9. Loopy65 macrumors 6502a

Loopy65

Umm .. if you're giving them away I don't much care what they're covered in!

Loopy

10. Ding.Dong macrumors regular

I have a friend that swears that putting a cell phone (or any electronic device) in the freezer is the best way to preserve the device and battery for long periods of time. I have never personally tried this, though, so use at your own risk.

11. tico24 macrumors 6502

tico24

You'll be fine with putting the battery to 50% charge and just leaving it in the box for 3 months. No point in needlessly cycling the battery.

The following is about the Macbook. But the same principle applies (on the right, under 'storing your macbook').
    http://www.apple.com/support/macbook/care/