Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
Hey everyone, this is my first post. I tried posting this in the iPhone help sub forum, but it wasn't loading for me.

Anyways, is it going to be possible with the iphone software update in june that I can hook my iphone up to a computer and store word and excel files on my iphone? I think this would be much easier than to get a CD and save files to a disc or a portable USB drive. Thanks in advanced.

gauchogolfer

macrumors 603
Jan 28, 2005
American Riviera
Since you've asked at the right place (and by right place I mean where we all have insider information as to what will be in future iPhone updates) I can unequivocally guarantee that you will be able to do this.

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
i guess that was sarcastic, but I asked because there is a whole list of features that the new software will contain and maybe I missed it

punter

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2003
Australia
sorry you got burnt on your first post :p

That feature hasn't been announced as one of the features to be released with 2.0. Who knows if it will be released, my guess is probably not.

There are some applications (http://add2iphone.com/?p=5) that allow you to use your iphone as an external usb drive. But note that for all these applications (that I have seen) they need to be installed on every computer you want to connect to the iphone.

paulold

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2008
Washington, DC
I know this isn't exactly what you're looking for but Excel and Word files can be stored on an iPhone currently... via Mail. Email them to yourself and keep the email as unread or perhaps in a draft email. You can view the documents on the iPhone itself. And you can retrieve them from your email account from whatever computer you want to transfer them to. Just a thought.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
The answer is, no, currently you can't. Some people like to hope that someday we will be able to. Apple's shown no interest in allowing us to access our devices though.

Yes, Apple made the coolest handheld device in the world, and then made it so you can't save files to it, without explanation. Or copy & paste text, images, or anything. No, the only way to get things on and off the device without jailbreaking it, is by cable-syncing files across via the lumbering iTunes program, on one computer, and one computer only. Once the files are on, you can forget about editing or moving or even deleting them. Everything is read-only. These basic commands are only able to be performed once you get back to your workstation, via iTunes. Dumb.

Apparently, Apples mysterious plans to sell ten million iPhones and in doing so, create ten million read-only users that have to constantly email their files to and from their devices. Totally idiotic. Unfortunately, neither of these two things are things that 3rd party developers are going to be able to get around officially.

If you want your device to actually be useful, you'll have to rely on the work of hackers.

Red Sox

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2007
The answer is, no, currently you can't. Some people like to hope that someday we will be able to. Apple's shown no interest in allowing us to access our devices though.

Yes, Apple made the coolest handheld device in the world, and then made it so you can't save files to it, without explanation. Or copy & paste text, images, or anything. No, the only way to get things on and off the device without jailbreaking it, is by cable-syncing files across via the lumbering iTunes program, on one computer, and one computer only. Once the files are on, you can forget about editing or moving or even deleting them. Everything is read-only. These basic commands are only able to be performed once you get back to your workstation, via iTunes. Dumb.

Apparently, Apples mysterious plans to sell ten million iPhones and in doing so, create ten million read-only users that have to constantly email their files to and from their devices. Totally idiotic. Unfortunately, neither of these two things are things that 3rd party developers are going to be able to get around officially.

If you want your device to actually be useful, you'll have to rely on the work of hackers.

he's asking about the 2.0 firmware that comes out in june.

My guess would be, yes, you will be able to do it within a matter of weeks after the 2.0 release. I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing that the SDK rules will not allow file transfers. But of course, it does allow internet access, so you should be able to easily store files on the web and access them. I'm hoping for a Google Docs application.

zainjetha

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2007
But would it do any potential harm to Apple to allow this? NO...
Would it being in disk mode make it any easier to unlock? NO...
Would it make people's life slightly easier? YES
Do Apple Care? No because if you are a legitimate iPhone user on the lowest level contract you have to give them £899.. Thats all they care about

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.