Storing files for apps on secondary HD

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by arashb, Jun 28, 2012.

1. arashb, Jun 28, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2012

arashb macrumors 6502

Hey guys, just installed my old 500gb stock HD in my MBP after having just my SSD in here and now that I have them both in here I decided to store my itunes library on my HDD, while keeping my iTunes app on the SSD.

Is this a bad idea? I get a lot of lag from just clicking between songs and a few second lag when the song is over before a new one plays. Should I just move over iTunes to the HDD or is the problem something else?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You shouldn't have a lag, just by having your iTunes media on another drive. You can have iTunes media on an external drive or a network drive that you access via WiFi, with no lag at all. I suspect your lag is caused by something else.

3. arashb thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah that's what I was thinking. I rebooted a bunch of times and had the same issue. But then I went into Bootcamp to move around files there and when I came back to OS X all was good. Not sure what the issue was but I'm just happy it's fixed.

4. arashb thread starter macrumors 6502

Actually this is weird. It's resetting my iTunes folder back to my SSD after reboots.

Dropbox is doing the same exact thing. Why? Is it because I'm trying to default the folder to an exFat drive?

5. Adomian macrumors newbie

What kind of hard drive did you get? If the drive is meant primarily for backing up your computer, it could have a slow speed which should mean that it reads files slower. I doubt the trouble is that the app and the files are on different drives though, and I would suggest keeping iTunes on the SSD and it should open faster. This is all I can think of...

----------

**Never mind. I didn't read your post very carefully. The original drive should play songs fine. Sorry about that!