Storing files on external hardrive; free up space on internal

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by pgkuma, Dec 23, 2007.

1. pgkuma macrumors newbie

I would like to back up and store files (eg pics and movies and tunes) on an external hardrive. I want to be able to delete files off of my internal drive as well, to free up space.

BUT...I don't like the fact that I can't easily see what files are there (on ext HD), so that I can easily re-access them from the external HD and place them back onto my internal HD. I thought that I would just copy the application onto the external HD also (eg drag and drop iPhoto onto HD), but when I open that application from external HD, it accesses the files from my internal (not my external HD). In other words, I can open the iPhoto from the ext HD, but the pics that I see in it are from the internal HD.

Is there a better solution or am I just not doing this correctly?

Thanks for any help

2. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

You don't need to move the actual iPhoto application.

Just copy the iPhoto Library folder under Pictures to your external. Start iPhoto while holding down the option key on your keyboard and when it asks for the library location select the copied folder on your external drive.

3. joegomolski macrumors 6502

joegomolski

Storing files on external hardrive; free up space on internal

If you have an external drive, it will have an icon on your desktop.

Click that icon and a new finder window will open displaying the files on your external drive.

Making sure that the folder that contains these file is, Users-a new folder, then a new folder named your user name, then another folder, Pictures, that contains your iPhoto library.

4. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

thats not necessary. all your need to do to move your iphoto library is to do what Fleetwood Mac suggested.

to move the itunes library to your external click and drag the itunes folder in the music directory while holding command (apple key) and drop it into the external disk in the finder sidebar. this will move it to the external and not copy it so you dont have to delete the original. do this with the iphoto library too.

then open itunes holding option and select the library on the external drive. then make sure this folder is selected in itunes preferences in advanced under "itunes music folder location".

this is assuming that all your music is in the itunes folder and "copy files to itunes music folder when adding to library is checked".

5. skybolt macrumors 6502a

If your external is large enough, I recommend partitioning it into two partitions -- one equal in size to your internal drive, and one for everything else. You can then use SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner or the like to back up your internal to the one partition you have created for it. The other partition would be whatever is left, and that is where you should store your music, photos, etc. as described above. This scheme is what I do, (I have named my partitions "Clone Drive" and "Extra Files") and it works perfectly! I always have a decent backup (I run CCC weekly) and my photos and music are off my internal, saving space.

Good luck!

6. WhiskeySour macrumors newbie

Hello. Newbie to this forum. I have just put a LaCie 500GB HD on line, FW400 and I have the same question as the originator of this query. I tried launching iPhoto while holding down the Option key, but there is no message that comes up asking for a library location. I am using OS 10.2.8, wonder if that is the problem? Thanks.