Storing files on Time Capsule and not on the mac

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by falseitmaybe, Dec 27, 2008.

1. falseitmaybe macrumors newbie

Hey,

I apologize in advance if this is a really simple question! I'm new to time capsule and time machine and it all seems a bit confusing at first.

I bought a Time Capsule obviously to back up my mac, but I've only got 3GB left on the mac itself, so want to store files on Time Capsule (movies, music etc) then remove them from my Mac to free up space. I asked in the shop and they said it was possible to store files on Time Capsule when they're deleted off the mac, but I was wondering if you could help me on how its possible, and how I would do this?

Sorry again if its the most obvious answer, haha! I just don't want to go deleting files until I'm sure they're saved on Time Capsule and wont be deleted from there, as and when they're deleted from the mac. :)

2. wellsws macrumors member

I've got an Airport Extreme with a 500GB hard drive attached for my Time Machine on my iMac. While I don't personally keep files on the hard drive, I think you can do it. Time Machine keeps hourly backups for each day, then daily backups for a month, then weekly backups until the hard drive is full. So, if you keep files on the drive being used to back up, you may limit how many weekly backups you have. Having said that, I have yet to fill up my backup drive and I have a ton of movies, music and pictures. So, give it a try.

3. That70sGAdawg macrumors 6502

That70sGAdawg

N.Georgia, USA (on the Lake, near the Mountains)
    Copy the media files over to the Time Capsule. Then find them on the time capsule dick under applications, and play on a local machine. Once it starts, Quiktime, or other player will play fine wirelessly. As for transferring programs, That's another matter. Once you're satisfied that they are on the time capsule in a separate folder from backups- delete them off the local machine. You just will HAVE to be close enough to the wired/wireless network to play them in the future.