storing hard drives in wood desk drawers

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Sossity, Feb 21, 2013.

1. Sossity macrumors 6502a

I plan to have my 3.5 in sata hard drives set up so they are swappable. I am using icydock enclosures. Some of the hard drives will be kept in storage cases, as I do not space on my desktop for them all.

is it safe to store the bare hard drives in cases in the drawers of my wooden desk? is it safe to stack them? is it best to store them flat in the drawers? or can I have them sitting vertically to save drawer space?

to anybody who has drives & swaps them out, do they store bare drives in cases like this?

2. drsox macrumors 65816

drsox

The orientation of modern drives doesn't matter. All I make sure of when I have spare drives is that they are in anti-static bags (to protect the contacts from damage and dust) and aren't too hot, too cold or damp.

3. Sossity thread starter macrumors 6502a

can one get anti static bags or reusable ones when I swap drives around for this purpose?

edit, just found some on amazon, they are a little big, can I place the hard drives in just the bags & store them in my drawers? or should the bagged hard drives go into something like these; http://www.amazon.com/eForCity-SATA-Drive-Storage-Clear/dp/B006ZH4PQW/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1361522135&sr=8-14&keywords=hard+drive+case+3.5

and also, I notice some models of icydock enclosures have swappable trays; http://www.amazon.com/Icy-Dock-MB559TRAY-Extra-Drive/dp/B000MQWQVI/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1361522379&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=icydock+tray that screw onto 3.5 in hard drives,

are there any padded carry like cases like these; or any hard drive case
    http://www.amazon.com/LaCie-3-5-Inch-Drive-Carrying-130903/dp/B002CPZZLK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1361522135&sr=8-2&keywords=hard+drive+case+3.5 that I can carry the hard drives with the icydock tray fixtures screwed to them? it is a bit inconvenient to have to take the tray fixtures on & off to fit them into a hard drive case.

4. drsox macrumors 65816

drsox

All of the above are fine. If you are storing the drive in a loose manner in a drawer with other stuff then a case is better. I have my spare drives on top of the NAS units (in the attic).

5. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

Correct on all accounts. In fact my custom-built gaming PC has the spinning disks oriented on their sides, in-use.

6. drsox macrumors 65816

drsox

They work at any angle.

7. Adams Apple macrumors newbie

It would be nice if someone manufactured a mini shelf type rack. Are such storage units available? I use two eSata docks and do a lot of video editing. With more people stepping up to drive swappable bays and docks, I think there are more of us frequently handling bare hard drives these days.

I don't want to fuss with individual plastic cases for each drive. But it would be nice to have a shelf to offer some outer protection and allow some organization and quick access. As it is I just have two stacks of bare hard drives at my workspace.

When I google "shelf" or "racks" I invariably get a lot of results for hard drive raid enclosures and such.

8. Sossity thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks all for the replies, does anybody know of cases that I could store the hard drives in with the icydock hard drive attachment screwed on?

9. drsox macrumors 65816

drsox