Storing iMac for an Extended Period

Discussion in 'iMac' started by greenmountain, Jan 26, 2012.

1. greenmountain macrumors newbie

Please pardon me for the ignorant nature of this question... but if I unplug my iMac, box it up (carefully) and store it for, say, a year, will I lose the data currently on the hard drive?

Thanks in advance for any advice the forum can offer.

2. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Not at all. The only thing you should worry about is making sure it's in a cool, dry space, damp would reck havoc with the electronics over time. You can buy silica gel bags for very cheap, I'd recommend putting a few in there with the Mac just to be on the safe side.

3. Subish macrumors member

You should be fine as long as you store in a temp control environment. If you plan on using a storage unit I wouldn't unless it is a controlled environment.

4. leman macrumors 604

The data should still be there. Magnetic drives do not deteriorate *much* with time.

But then, who knows what may happen? The hard drive just might decide to die when you turn it on after a year. If the data is worth anything to you (and I guess it isn't if you are going to leave it be for a year), you should have one or more external backups.

5. BigDukeSix macrumors 6502a

BigDukeSix

I echo everyone's inputs. And, if it was me, I would also do a backup of all my data on one or maybe two external harddrives.