Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Storing iMac for an Extended Period

greenmountain

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 7, 2010
Please pardon me for the ignorant nature of this question... but if I unplug my iMac, box it up (carefully) and store it for, say, a year, will I lose the data currently on the hard drive?

Thanks in advance for any advice the forum can offer.

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
Not at all. The only thing you should worry about is making sure it's in a cool, dry space, damp would reck havoc with the electronics over time. You can buy silica gel bags for very cheap, I'd recommend putting a few in there with the Mac just to be on the safe side.

Comment

Subish

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2011
You should be fine as long as you store in a temp control environment. If you plan on using a storage unit I wouldn't unless it is a controlled environment.

Comment

leman

macrumors G4
Oct 14, 2008
Please pardon me for the ignorant nature of this question... but if I unplug my iMac, box it up (carefully) and store it for, say, a year, will I lose the data currently on the hard drive?

Thanks in advance for any advice the forum can offer.

The data should still be there. Magnetic drives do not deteriorate *much* with time.

But then, who knows what may happen? The hard drive just might decide to die when you turn it on after a year. If the data is worth anything to you (and I guess it isn't if you are going to leave it be for a year), you should have one or more external backups.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.