storing IMAP locally

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by rayjay86, Nov 23, 2011.

1. rayjay86 macrumors 6502

Hi guys,

I'm having trouble with something. I've tried looking online but no one addresses my specific question.

My university has informed me that my mail account is over it's quota. I have a lot of emails from my program, way more than I will able to accurately scroll through and see what I should keep or not.

Is there a way to store very old messages (from last year for example) locally on my Mac and delete them off the online webmail so that my server usage is lowered? I still want them in my Mail.app so that if I have to I can come back and search them.

Thanks

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

You should be able to create a local folder

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1063

3. dyn macrumors 68030

There are some options:
    - You can print them as pdf, not useful if there are attachments because it won't preserve those, the following options do:
    - You can save 1 message, a group of messages or export an entire mailbox
    - You can drag the messages (1 or a group) to whatever folder on your drive
    - You can drag the messages (1 or a group) to a local mailbox (you need to create a new mailbox and tell it to be on your Mac); this one is the one described in the Apple kb article 1 post above mine.

4. rayjay86 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks guys,

The Apple help article was exactly what I was looking for. Is that mailbox searchable now in the general search? Like if I type in "John Doe" will it search all my current mailboxes as well as local for John Doe and display it normally or do I specifically have to go into that mailbox to search things?

(sorry if that sounded confusing)

5. dyn macrumors 68030

Bit late but the search will search the mailbox you are currently in by default. You can select all which will search in all mailboxes you have.