Storing iPhoto library in SkyDrive

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by callorchat, May 1, 2012.

1. callorchat macrumors member

Hi All,

As Microsoft released SkyDrive app for Mac, i am thinking about moving my iPhoto library (16gb) to SkyDrive folder. I know, it can be done using DropBox, but DropBox is quite expensive compared to SkyDrive and SkyDrive offers 25gb of free space which is more than sufficient for my requirements. I want to findout, if anyone tried moving their iPhoto library to SkyDrive.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. robgendreau macrumors 68040

Why not create a new library there, stick in some stuff, and test? Let us know what happens.

And remember that you could, I suppose, store photos there and then create a referenced library to those instead.

The problem is that if they are photos you're actively working on then the upload/download can slow things down.

I use iPhoto Library Manager in combo with different libraries to deal with this. The ones stored online are essentially archives that I only occasionally access.

Your storage needs may vary, of course.

And whatever you do, don't access the library on two machines at once; it's not a server application.

Rob

3. Dotdot macrumors newbie

I am still searching any way to sync my iPhoto library to SkyDrive. If someone knows help us.

4. dhartung02 macrumors 6502

As has already been stated, if you want to sync your library to Skydrive just drag your library to the skydrive folder and open it from there. Then it will always remain in sync across all of your computers with Skydrive.

5. phobox macrumors member

I currently have my iphoto library and in fact my entire Pictures folder sync'd with SkyDrive. I simply moved my entire Pictures folder (which included the iphoto library) to SkyDrive, then removed the original from my home folder and created a symlink.. That way as far as apps and the OS are concerned, nothing has changed, they still access everything as they normally would and behind the scenes everything is sync'd with skydrive. This is a plus for two primary reasons, 1. Obvious backup advantages. 2. The fact I can now access my entire photo collection from any other machine, incl a Windows 8 box with its bundled SkyDrive metro app.

6. Dotdot macrumors newbie

Could you say step by step how did it? I try move library file to SkyDrive folder on my Mac. Reopened SkyDrive app but isn't copy to cloud says something like files with / aren't possible.