storing iTunes movies on external hard drive?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Techsavyfreak, Feb 23, 2008.

1. Techsavyfreak macrumors member

I have been having a problem lately. I am using handbrake to convert my dvd's to my computer. Seeing that my MBP doesn't have that much hard drive space for movies, and I have a 500 GB external hard drive, I though i might be able to free up some disc space. So I moved the movies to the external and added the movies to the iTunes library. Everything worked perfect, until I viewed the files in finder, and saw that they had moved on to my MBP hard drive. Now on my old PC, I moved all my music to an external, and found the files in iTunes, ect... , and it wouldn't transfer the files back to the PC hard drive( a good thing). So I was wondering if i could keep these movies on an external hard drive and not have to keep them on my MBP drive. (I understand that I wouldn't be able to play the movies if I unplugged the hard drive)

2. sal macrumors 6502

yes you can. You have to change the location of your itunes library to the external. any movies, music, you import will be kept on the external.

Go to itunes>>preferences and go to "advance". Then "change" the itunes music location.

Alternatively, you could also uncheck "copy files to itunes music folder when adding to library"

this way if you add a movie from your external, it won't copy it. It'll link to it from the external.

The downside to this is, all your music/video will be all over the place. Some on your computer, other on your external drive.

3. Techsavyfreak thread starter macrumors member

hey thanks, i did what you said, and from what i can tell, it worked

4. WannaBMW3 macrumors regular

WannaBMW3

This is great knowledge because I will be doing that exact thing pretty soon!