Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jtuner77

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 15, 2008
So I have a new MBP and I started to pile up about 200gig's of music on it and decided to just get an external to hold it all. So i bought a 750G WD Passport.

I then felt it would be best to add my laptop music to my Mac Pro music just so i can have all the same music on both and the most complete Itunes file.

So i proceeded to copy all my laptop music onto my Mac Pro and now I want to take the complete music file and save it on my external and when I plug in my external and turn on my laptop it will point to the location on the external drive and show all my music in itunes when my external is attached. So i thought i mapped the drive right but then i decided to import a CD and I found that the laptop is still saving the music files in it's normal location and not on the external like i mapped it to do.

So that is problem....I think my explanation might be a little confusing, if so PM me and I can get into further explanation.

Thats problem #1....now #2

So i started to notice I have a ton of duplicates and I know you can delete them from your Itunes but they still keep the duplicates in the actual source file for the music. Is their a way to delete the duplicates out of the source files without doing it one by one?

Any help would be appreciated!

Jtuner77

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 15, 2008
Let me start again....

Mac Pro-Main comp

MBP-Secondary comp

I have moved all my music off the MBP onto an external. What I want is when I use Itunes on my MBP and the external is attached it will pull up all the music from the file on my external and if I am to download music instead of the music being saved on the Itunes music file on the MBP(Internal HD) it will save them on the file that is on my external.

jeffwright

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2008
Great tutorial link Celticpride! Follow the steps in that tutorial JTuner and you will be fine. I use that same method and I am able to use the same hd via usb or via airdisk. As an added bonus if you are away from the hd and want to download content it will go back to the default location. Once the HD is connected again just consolidate the library and the media will be copied to the external drive. You can then delete the copy on your local drive after the copying is complete.

Jtuner77

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 15, 2008
It was kinda confusing. Try and start from the beginning, following this tutorial: http://www.technobuffalo.com/techbu...ry-to-an-external-hard-drive-mac-and-windows/

Ok I did just this but now with the external drive connected and mapped properly to save on the external drive I open Itunes and none of the music on the external shows up on itunes...does that mean everytime I want to play music from my external I have to go into that file and drag and drop into Itunes?

jeffwright

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2008
Well if your media isn't showing in iTunes go to your iTunes menu and select preferences. You then want to select the advanced tab. Once there set the location of your iTunes on your external drive. Deselect copy files to iTunes media folder.
Click on Ok to close the preferences.
Drag your iTunes folder to iTunes. Once done go back to your preferences. Turn back on Deselect copy files to iTunes media folder. Now any new media will be added to your external drive.
You have lost your saved playlists and ratings but everything else should be fine...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.