Storing MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MarkW19, Jan 26, 2008.

1. MarkW19 macrumors 65816

When my MBP arrives this week, I'm thinking of 'docking' it in a drawer in my desk, with all the cables routed through the back of the drawer, to keep everything nice and tidy and out of view. The MBP will be connected to my monitor, power, keyboard, mouse etc., and the only reason I'd need to access it would be to get to the CD/DVD drive (quite rare), in which case I can just open the drawer!

So, I was wondering how the MBP would do in a closed drawer, for ventilation etc.?

2. ProPedderKustom macrumors regular

Make sure that the computer has some access to cool air so that the drawer where it resides doesn't get super hot. You would want the computer to operate between 50-80 degrees Fahrenheit. Also, make sure to cycle the battery down every few weeks to a month so that it keeps maximum life and capacity.

3. Freyqq macrumors 68040

putting it in a closed drawer that has no ventilation is not a very good idea..

4. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

Are you punishing your MBP? A laptop stand wouldn't be a bad idea to help with ventilation.

5. MarkW19 thread starter macrumors 65816

I don't have enough desktop space to have the MBP (permanently) on it as well, so I need to find somewhere neat to store it. It could be elevated in the drawer I guess, but as there's no airflow in there, it wouldn't really help would it?

I know it's not the best idea in the world, but I need to find somewhere to keep it. Particularly with all the cables coming out of both sides of it, and having to keep all the cables out ready to be plugged in, it won't exactly be very neat! And those Bookendz docks are big and ugly.

Hmm, I'll think of something...