Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Trey M

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 25, 2011
USA
Hi All,

I will soon be studying abroad and I'll only be bringing my Macbook Air with me. That leaves my rMBP sitting at home for a few months...

My question is regarding storing Macs for long periods of time. I've heard before you're supposed to store your Mac when it has ~50% battery, is this true? Are there any other concerns or measures I should take when storing my Macbook for a few months? (around 4 months to be exact)

I appreciate the help!

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2013
Yes, you will want to drain the battery to 40-50%. Then simply put it away in a cool, dry environment, and you should be good to go.

iphone X

macrumors regular
May 30, 2011
this is what apple recommend:

Long-Term Storage

If you don’t plan on using your notebook for more than six months, Apple recommends that you store the battery with a 50% charge. If you store a battery when it’s fully discharged, it could fall into a deep discharge state, which renders it incapable of holding any charge. Conversely, if you store it fully charged for an extended period of time, the battery may experience some loss of battery capacity, meaning it will have a shorter life. Be sure to store your notebook and battery at the proper temperature. (See “Notebook Temperate Zone.”)

Trey M

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 25, 2011
USA
Cool that sounds about what I expected thanks guys for the replies

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
I travel Internationally for work. Often I am gone for two or three months. When I leave any of my MacBook's (2010 or newer) I deliberately leave them with the battery at exactly 50% and upon my return I find they've only dropped about 2% it's really amazing. Especially since I have four to compare. Each is a different configuration, and yet they all discharge within 1% of each other. The only exception is my mid 2012 15" MBPr... it' drops 4%.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.