Storing Media and Time Machine

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mmzplanet, Oct 13, 2007.

1. mmzplanet macrumors regular

mmzplanet

In anticipation of Leopard, I got an external My Book HDD with Firewire for use with Time Machine. The capacity is the same as my internal on my iMac. (320GB). I was also looking to move my iTunes and iPhoto storage to an external drive as well. I was thinking to get 2 more My Book drives (500GB ea) and set them up in as a mirrored RAID volume in Disk Utility. That should get it all covered and everything will be backed up.

My question is... is the three of these daisy-chained together with FW400 going to serve me well? Anything I should do differently?

Is Firewire better than USB for an external HDD?

2. goodtimes5 macrumors 6502a

goodtimes5

Yes, it's faster.

3. vtecyo macrumors newbie

iMac only comes with 1 Firewire400, and 1 Firewire800. if you were going to have 3 of them, where you gonna plug the 3rd one into?the usb port? if you really need 3 external hdd, i wouldnt recommend you get 3. you could always find a enclosure that can 2-4 HDDs, which also supports RAID and has FireWire.

4. dabirdwell macrumors 6502

MyBooks Can Be Daisy-Chained

My MyBook Pro has multiple firewire ports that allow it to be daisy-chained with more external disks. The pro has two FW 800s, one FW400 and one USB.