Storing my macbook in sleep mode

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by windypops, Jun 5, 2011.

1. windypops macrumors newbie

Hello!

I've had a 15" MacBook Pro for a while, and I keep it stored in a snug-fitting Incase neoprene sleeve when not in use. I always power it down before putting it away for the night. I'm aware that doing so puts some additional wear and tear on the hard drive. Ideally, I'd like to just shut the lid and store it while it's in sleep mode.

My question is: is it safe to do so in its sleeve? I'm concerned that, since it's still switched on, it may overheat and I'll be the proud owner of a very pretty, brushed aluminium brick.

I'd appreciate any advice from you Mac veterans out there. Thanks in advance.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's fine to store it in sleep mode, as long as it's not for weeks or months at a time. (Of course, the battery won't allow sleeping that long) Nothing is running in sleep mode, so no heat is generated. Also, shutting down doesn't put undo wear on the drive. Your Mac is designed to start up/shut down thousands of times without problems.

3. cloroxbleach4 macrumors 6502a

cloroxbleach4

From what I've read on here there are no issues with storing your MBP in sleep mode. Unless you're not gonna use it for a couple of days, it would be wise to shut it down.

I only transport my MBP in sleep mode in a sleeve. So hopefully I've been doing the right thing.

4. windypops thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the (wow, quick!) responses.

I shall take your advice. I suspected it might be okay, but just wanted some reassurance.

Thanks again.