Storing Photos on external hard drive

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by js15, Apr 5, 2009.

1. js15 macrumors newbie

I moved my iphoto library to an external HD (WD Passport) and everything seemed to be working fine. Recently I added more pictures to iphoto, importing them from my camera, and when I tried to view there files, the originals on the passport hard drive, they weren't there. I went into iphoto and clicked on one of the photos and went to show file and it took me to volumes coming from the mac HD but it showed the iphoto library with all the originals. I'm confused where the volumes folder is located and how iphoto put all my photos there and not on my passport.

What I should do to put all the photo folders in the same spot on my passport HD?

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

When you relocate the iPhoto Library like that, you also have to tell the iPhoto application to retarget to that particular library. Hold down on the option key while launching iPhoto and select Choose Library and point it at the one on the external drive. With regards to bringing in your most recently imported files, you'll either need to crack open the iPhoto Library package on the internal drive in ~/Pictures (by right/control clicking and selecting "Show Package Contents") and dive into the Originals folder or rather just export/drag out of the iPhoto interface the imported event to a folder and then after retargeting the library, import the folder.

3. js15 thread starter macrumors newbie

When I originally got the Passport, I told it to move all of the photos to it and it worked fine. Since then all of my photos that have imported from my camera have gone to a folder called Mac HD/Volumes/My Passport/iPhoto Library(I clicked show package contents and located all of my originals).
    Also in the volumes folder, it looks like it shows a shortcut of my passport and its titled My Passport 1. When I click on it, it only shows me everything that I put on when I originally moved to it. Here's a picture of it.

[​IMG]

I think my photos are saving to the folder that seems to be coming from the volumes folder in the mac HD. How do I put all the photos and folders in the same spot?

4. skybolt macrumors 6502a

Use iPhoto LibraryManager or the like to "merge" your libraries. That way you will have the new photos and the associated data in their correct places on your external. Don't try to do this manually by getting into the "originals" folder and the like, you will create a mess because the appropriate data, thumbnails, etc. will not necessarily be in the right place, making iPhoto unable to locate your photos. It is NEVER a good idea to manipulate anything in the iPhoto library in finder!

When you have iPhoto pointing to the external, and then you import photos when the external is not mounted, they will be added to your internal drive. You then need to "merge" the libraries so as to get all in one place. Or, just never import photos when the external is not mounted.