Storing photos on the cloud

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by davidstokes, Jun 9, 2014.

1. davidstokes macrumors newbie

Hi All,

I've an iPhone5 - 16GB and it's just about to run out of space.

I've about 3 gig of photos what I'd like to keep. I know I could move thme to my PC.. But i'm no the move now and not back at my PC for a while.

I see Apple give you 5Gig free on the cloud. Is there anyway I can move the photo's to it and free up some space ?

What can I store on the cloud ? and how can I move stuff there ?

thanks.

2. FoxFifth macrumors 6502

iCloud is involved in photos in 2 ways -- backup and Photo Stream.

You could do an iCloud backup of your phone and the Camera Roll would be included in that. The problem is that the backup can only be used to restore so the only way to get the photos back would be to restore the entire backup to an iOS device. Also there is no way to verify that the photos are actually there (i.e., you can't log on to iCloud and see them).

Photo Stream is a good method for transferring photos from one device to another iOS device or a computer. But in the case of an iPhone or other iOS device only new photos taken after you activate Photo Stream on the phone are included. And you can not log into iCloud to see that they are actually stored there. You can only see them from a Photo Stream device.

I would not be comfortable deleting the photos on my phone with either of the above. I do use Photo Stream to import them to my computer and have that set to automatically take them from Photo Stream on the computer into iPhoto, after which I can safely delete them from the phone.

There are other cloud-based options that may do what you need. Flickr may be one to research.