Storing/running applications from desktop?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by peanutismint, Dec 8, 2014.

1. peanutismint macrumors 6502

peanutismint

Is it ok to store/run applications from my OS X desktop? Or will it affect performance etc?

I know under Windows they suggest not keeping large files on the desktop (for some reason - perhaps this is now outdated advice) but I have certain applications that I'm either A) only using for a short period of time or B) would rather keep separate from my 'Applications' folder (such as games, etc) and i'm wondering whether it's ok to just store these on my desktop and run them directly from that location?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The desktop is just a folder, so there's no harm. I personally, like to keep things organized and so all my apps are in the application folder.

3. Fishrrman macrumors G3

A couple of suggestions:

1. Put the apps into the applications folder, then create aliases of them, and put the aliases on the desktop.

2. Open the applications folder in the finder.
    Grab the icon for the apps folder with the mouse and drag it to the dock, just above or to the left of the trash can.
    The folder will now "be in the dock".
    Right click on the docked folder and choose "folder" from the list of options.
    Right click again on the docked folder and choose either "Grid" or "List" from the options (try both and see what you like best).

I prefer #2 myself.

4. m4v3r1ck macrumors 68020

m4v3r1ck

cmd+space -> first letters are often enough to show the app you want to use and double click to launch!

5. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

Isn't it what the Dock is made for ?

6. octothorpe8 macrumors 6502

Pretty sure some apps won't update themselves if they're not in the Applications folder. The alias suggestion (or the dock) would be better.

Much faster: hit the shortcut for Spotlight and type the first few letters of what you want to launch. (I actually prefer Alfred for this myself.)