Resolved Storing Star Ratings.

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by Ernie11, Apr 18, 2014.

1. Ernie11, Apr 18, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2014

Ernie11 macrumors member

[UPDATED POST]
    Im going to be posting what I have now after changing star rating controllers. For the storing part I got this:
    Code:
        if (Appetizer) {
            [Appetizer setValue:dishName.text forKey:@"name"];
            [Appetizer setValue:restaurantName.text forKey:@"restaurant"];
            [Appetizer setValue:statusLabel.text forKey:@"rating"];
            [Appetizer setValue:notes.text forKey:@"notes"];
        } else {
            NSManagedObject *newAppetizer = [NSEntityDescription insertNewObjectForEntityForName:@"Appetizers" inManagedObjectContext:context];
            [newAppetizer setValue:dishName.text forKey:@"name"];
            [newAppetizer setValue:restaurantName.text forKey:@"restaurant"];
            [newAppetizer setValue:statusLabel.text forKey:@"rating"];
            [newAppetizer setValue:notes.text forKey:@"notes"];
    For what I know its storing the variable thats on statusLabel. Couldnt figure out another way to store a number. On the viewcontroller that I need the stars on I have to put this on the viewdidload:
    Code:
        self.rateView.notSelectedImage = [UIImage imageNamed:@"kermit_empty.png"];
        self.rateView.halfSelectedImage = [UIImage imageNamed:@"kermit_half.png"];
        self.rateView.fullSelectedImage = [UIImage imageNamed:@"kermit_full.png"];
        self.rateView.rating = 0;
        self.rateView.editable = YES;
        self.rateView.maxRating = 5;
        self.rateView.delegate = self;
    On this viewconroller I just want to display the stored stars and I noticed that if I change the 0 in self.rateView.rating = 0; to another number (max 5) it will show that many stars. So im looking to make self.rateView.rating = @"rating" but idk how to write that out. Ive tried various ways and cant get it to accept it without errors.

[OLD POST]Hello everyone. Im a bit new to programming and ive been stuck for a couple of days on this problem. Im trying to add a 5 star rating on an app im making. I get it to display just like I want it, but I cant figure out to save my life how to save the rating into the attribute. I currently have 3 attributes other than rating and I get those to store perfectly. I need to store them and then retrieve them on another viewcontroller. I am using mmStarRating controller from here: https://www.iphonelife.com/blog/31369/unleash-your-inner-app-developer-adding-navigation. I will post parts of my script to help out with the brainstorming.

Where I store the info into the attributes (they come from textfields):
    Code:
    - (IBAction)saveButton:(id)sender {
        NSManagedObjectContext *context = [self managedObjectContext];
        if (Appetizer) {
            [Appetizer setValue:dishName.text forKey:@"name"];
            [Appetizer setValue:restaurantName.text forKey:@"restaurant"];
            [Appetizer setValue:notes.text forKey:@"notes"];
        } else {
            NSManagedObject *newAppetizer = [NSEntityDescription insertNewObjectForEntityForName:@"Appetizers" inManagedObjectContext:context];
            [newAppetizer setValue:dishName.text forKey:@"name"];
            [newAppetizer setValue:restaurantName.text forKey:@"restaurant"];
            [newAppetizer setValue:notes.text forKey:@"notes"];
        }
    }
    How I retrieve the information and display it:
    Code:
    - (void)viewDidLoad
    {
        [super viewDidLoad];
        if (Appetizer) {
            [dishName setText:[Appetizer valueForKey:@"name"]];
            [restaurantName setText:[Appetizer valueForKey:@"restaurant"]];
            [notes setText:[Appetizer valueForKey:@"notes"]];
        }
    }
    Also I cant figure out what I would change setValue and setText to considering its not a textfield and not a string for what I understand. Thanks in advance.

E.

2. Ernie11 thread starter macrumors member

I have been working on it more. I changed out from mmStarRating to this tutorial: http://www.raywenderlich.com/1768/u...a-custom-uiview-in-ios-5-a-5-star-rating-view. But once again im stuck. I think I have gotten a value to store in the attribute but im not sure since I cant recall it. Under this tutorial I set that the statusLabel save as a string to the attribute "rating" with: [statusLabel setText:[Appetizer valueForKey:mad:"rating"]];. During this tutorial I have to put a line that says: self.rateView.rating = 0; in the viewcontroller im using. I using this viewcontroller to recall the info. But how can I get the 0 to display what saved on @"rating"? Rating is an attribute from the entity Appetizers if that matters. I think this is the last step I need to get this working. All the Labels will then just be hidden since I dont need them to display.

E.

3. ArtOfWarfare macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

I'm really confused by your code - where are you trying to store the variable?

4. Ernie11 thread starter macrumors member

Ok I have updated the post. Is this what you were asking?

5. chown33 macrumors 604

Please don't do that. It makes it harder to see the timeline of changes.

Instead, simply add a new Reply, and post your new code there.

6. ArtOfWarfare macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

Instead of this:
    I think this might work:
    Code:
    self.rateView.rating = [appetizer valueForKey:@"rating"];
    This may not work because I'm not quite sure what valueForKey will return... I think it may be an NSNumber. I suggest learning a bit about debugging and introspection to find out what that method returns, if it doesn't return what you want / need.

7. Ernie11 thread starter macrumors member

I had tried that. The error it gives me is: "Assigning to 'float' from incompatible float 'id'." I have the attribute set to string, if I change it to float I still get this error. Im not sure if this is what I have to do but if the string was changed to float somehow and then float = float?

8. ArtOfWarfare macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

I think the return value will be an NSNumber, meaning you need to call floatValue on it before you can use it. Not certain as I generally avoid Core Data.

9. Ernie11 thread starter macrumors member

Ok I looked up floatValue so I could get information on it and this is what I have made. This has no errors according to xcode.
    Code:
    NSString *currentRating = [Appetizer valueForKey:@"rating"];
        float r = [currentRating floatValue];
    And I put r:
    Code:
    self.rateView.rating = r;
    It doesnt display the marked stars though. Yet my statusLabel on viewDidLoad does show the correct number.
    Code:
        [super viewDidLoad];
        if (Appetizer) {
            [dishName setText:[Appetizer valueForKey:@"name"]];
            [restaurantName setText:[Appetizer valueForKey:@"restaurant"]];
            [statusLabel setText:[Appetizer valueForKey:@"rating"]];
            [notes setText:[Appetizer valueForKey:@"notes"]];
    Btw thanks for helping me.

10. Ernie11 thread starter macrumors member

Ok I got it all working. With your suggestions I researched and played around a little and got it working. Thanks for the help.

E.