Storing time machine and CCC backups on same drive

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Rossatron, Jun 30, 2013.

1. Rossatron macrumors 6502a

Hey,

I got carbon copy clone today, as I've read very good reviews about it. I have a 1TB external drive, which I used for time machine backups, and I though to myself "why not partition it and have both backups on same device?". So I partitioned with disk utility, set time machine to 1st partition and CCC to 2nd. When CCC started, it created the "recovery" partition as well.

Now that I have finished backing up, I'm having some doubts.

Is it ok to use 2 different backup softwares to create a backup on same device? Will I have problem using either one for recovery? If, say, I want to recover just from time machine (or CCC for that matter) will the recovery screen (cmd + r) allow me to choose? And most important - will the recovery process run smoothly despite the other partition?

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yep... that will work fine. You can toy with it yourself after you complete both backups. Plug in the external and option key boot and you will see you have two options to boot from, the TM and the CCC partitions.

3. Stooby Mcdoobie, Jun 30, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2013

Stooby Mcdoobie macrumors 6502a

Stooby Mcdoobie

As weaselboy said, this is perfectly fine. Major problem with this set up, though, is if the drive fails, you've lost both your backups. That said, you might also want to get a second external drive and create a second set of backups.

4. Rossatron thread starter macrumors 6502a

yep, that's what i want to do, but i thought i'd do that until i buy another drive

thanks to you both!

5. glutenenvy macrumors regular

glutenenvy

I haven't done this but CCC also backups to image which can then be put to DVD or BluRay, if you purchased an external BluRay drive. http://help.bombich.com/kb/dmg-and-remote/backing-up-to-a-disk-image

The resulting image is going to be too big for DVD but toast should be able to chop it up for you. I don't think I'd want to chop up a sparse bundle by hand and miss a slice. Your stack of disks can then fit in your medium sized safety deposit box. If you trade space with a friend or family member in a different home, you can encrypt your CCC backup and it will not matter much if they try to read it. If you used write once media it also is unlikely they would try to overwrite it like could happen with a hard disk.

6. Rossatron thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ill look into that. One thing that's bothering me: I purchased my Mac with ML on it. I wanted to create a bootable just for installing, but I don't have ML image. Do I need to purchase it from Mac App Store?

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

No you do not have to buy it from the App Store. See this earlier post from me.

8. Rossatron thread starter macrumors 6502a