Storm slams West Coast

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by eric55lv, Jan 4, 2008.

1. eric55lv Guest

eric55lv

So here in Las Vegas,NV there is a strong strom coming in we are not going to get most of it but flash floods may occur here for all of you in Cailfornia brace your selves for a stormy and windy night
    CNN
    The Weather Channel

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

3. FredAkbar macrumors 6502a

FredAkbar

I drove from Davis to San Jose today (around 11a to 1p) and it was the craziest weather I've ever driven in. Heavy rain and fast wind. Things settled down later and I think today was the worst, though I've heard tomorrow will be pretty bad in some places. There are major storm warnings in the mountains.

4. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

My aunt got caught up in this, said there was up to 70mph winds last night, crazy stuff.

5. Kamera RAWr macrumors 65816

Kamera RAWr

Not having seen the weather forecast or anything lately, I'm not sure if this is the same storm hitting the Pacific Northwest or not, but its certainly been very windy up here.

6. eric55lv thread starter Guest

eric55lv

the tallest building in Las Vegas the Stratosphere started swaying today and so did all the tall building on the strip[​IMG]

7. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

We got socked pretty good here outside of SF, but fortunately our house only lost power for maybe a couple of hours yesterday and an hour this morning. Very windy from about 4 AM until about 2 PM or so.

Over 500,000 in the Bay Area were without power yesterday, and a total of about 1.3 million out throughout Northern CA.

Some trees down and assorted debris scattered around, and a number of roads and bridges were closed yesterday. Things got cleaned up pretty quickly though.

8. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

This is the largest West Coast storm system since February 2005. We got socked pretty good here in Southern California, with more on the way. No major damage that I've heard about.

9. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Don't know about the west coast as a whole, but they said on last night's news that it was the worst Bay Area storm in at least six years.

10. spork183 macrumors 6502a

spork183

We got 5.23 inches rain in under 24 hours in the Upper Napa Valley. River shot up quick, but then the rain tapered off. My kids had a ball digging channels to drain the puddles. No power for 13 hours, but it came on just as the generator arrived. I figure if I simply keep the generator on the back porch for the rest of the winter, the power won't go out again...;)

11. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

After spending the last 4 years in Michigan, this doesn't seem like much to me. Plus I grew up in the NW, so rain and wind don't bother me much. Last summer we had a huge storm that brought down parts of a gigantic tree in our front yard and knocked out power for 3 days. The power company had to bring in workers from another state who had just finished cleaning up after a tornado, and they said our area looked worse than what the tornado had done. Crazy...

12. spork183 macrumors 6502a

spork183

now what is really interesting is getting 1-2 inches of snow here and watching the world shut down. No one knows how to drive in it such shocking conditions...

13. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

You know how people tend to get all worked up about weather in California -- or at least, rain in any quantity.

14. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

True, everything is relative. If all you are used to is sunshine with little to no rain, a small downpour can be thought of as a storm. I am enjoying the weather down here though. Sure beats the 5 feet of snow I had to deal with last winter!

15. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Actually they said the storm was bigger then the perfect storm that hit the northeast in 1992.

16. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Right. The local news stations crank up the "storm watch!" graphics even for the smallest of showers and all the newspapers run rain pictures -- people with umbrellas, people jumping over puddles, and the like. It's become sort of a local joke. Remember the Steve Martin movie "LA Stories" where he played a Los Angeles TV station weatherman, warning listeners to shelter their pets inside because the low overnight temperature was going down to 58? It's funny because it's true.

17. spork183 macrumors 6502a

spork183

18. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

Pretty windy here. Messed up my hair but I'm ok.

19. eric55lv thread starter Guest

eric55lv

15 mph!Here in Las Vegas its 20-40mph it sucks

20. spork183 macrumors 6502a

spork183

that was sarcasm. we had winds pushing 90 over Angel Island. I particularly liked the big rigs that blew over on the richmond/san rafael bridge. No one hurt, just a GA mess.

21. Kamera RAWr macrumors 65816

Kamera RAWr

Relative must definitely be the term of the day, judging from other posts. 20-40mph certainly isn't all that much, really. Here during the winter, many wind storms produce gusts 70+mph. Infact, in December during a wind storm, they recorded 90+mph gusts.

22. eric55lv thread starter Guest

eric55lv

well Cailfornia is taking the blow not Nevada

23. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Well, that and the fact that it's usually so dry means the land, streets, and buildings themselves can't really handle this sort of downpour. Hence, mudslides, massive flooding of roads, and damage to buildings. Sure call it "relative" but that's just it, isn't it? Easy for folks to roll their eyes at a "bit of rain," not so easy when roads aren't passable, and mud and water damages homes.

24. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Thank you! We don't exactly have "excellent" weather here in the Bay Area. Even a sunny day can be below 50F (hence the confused and cold tourists :p). The Oakland Hills have probably lost a few homes to mud slides by now, and 500,000 people out of power for 24 or more hours is no joke.

All that said, I liked the thunder and lightning show. We don't get those too often so it was nice. :cool: :p

25. me_94501 macrumors 65816

me_94501

Yeah. Now I have the duty of chopping up and disposing of a sizable shrub that blew over in our yard. :p