Storm-style tactile feedback: Does anybody prefer it?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Michael CM1, Nov 21, 2008.

1. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

It's a little speculation, but I read that the Storm's screen must actually be pushed down for keys to be "pressed." Since a lot of people clamor for "tactile feedback," I want to know who thinks this would be either needed or wanted on the iPhone.

I personally think the iPhone system is fine as is. If I want any sort of feedback when typing, I turn the sounds on. I'm not big into the two-thumb texting stuff (it's against my typing religion), so maybe that has something to do with it. I just use my right index finger to type. It's not fast, but it's accurate. I spent too much time learning the right way to use a computer keyboard to go blow my mind with using THUMBS to type. Eek.

I'm glad to see the Storm come out and give the iPhone a little competition, but the reviews seem to be saying that it's no game-changer like the original iPhone. But maybe it'll push Apple to add that nifty memory card slot.

2. ZDDP1273 macrumors 6502

I'm definitely looking forward to trying out the "tactile" keyboard. I want to see what it is like.

3. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

Tactile feedback is just for those who refuse to develop some form of muscle memory. It take patience and practice and some people just refuse to do it for what ever reason.

As far as memory card slot, I don't see the point unless it to transfer files. We already have up to 16gb with faster access times. What another 5gb slower card going to do?

4. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First, I wasn't aware that using "my right index finger" was the "right way to use a computer keyboard". I will have to stop using two hands and most of my fingers, like the Army taught me! :)

(Okay, I do the same on the iPhone. And yeah, those who use thumbs are going to end up getting surgery one day.)

I think the clickable touchscreen is a very clever and useful technology update.

Apparently Apple thinks the same thing, since they use it on their newest glass touchpads.

The question is how to get it right. Reportedly the Storm has just one button under the middle of the screen. Perhaps more are needed to balance it out and make it perfect.

5. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

The primary problem with the technology as-is is that it seriously slows down anyone who types at more than a hunt-and-peck speed on their phone. Having to depress the screen and then wait for it to pop up before typing another letter frankly sounds a little annoying. (Yes, I use two-thumb typing. Hasn't caused me any problems so far. But I have small half-Asian hands, so who knows.)

The clickable screen is a great idea, but I think it needs a little finesse. Until you can type as quickly on it as you can a Blackberry or an iPhone, it hurts productivity and is not a huge benefit.

6. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Yes, it might be that it's a poor technology choice for very fast typists, just as a click touchpad might be bad for game players. (A non-clickable screen is as well. Need buttons!)

However, there are many types of phone users out there... and probably lots more one letter at a time users and/or those who rarely type at all except to enter a URL.

For those people, and those who have large fingers and are always accidentally clicking things they didn't mean to, it sounds great.

7. LinMac macrumors 65816

I haven't tried it, but a friend that went from Blackberry to iPhone doesn't think much of it.

I think this will be a nice workaround for people that don't want to give up the feeling of a keyboard, but I doubt it is the future for these types of devices.

8. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

I agree. The type of usage would dictate the preferred interface. For me, a virtual keyboard without a physical element works well (assuming autocorrect works well), as it removed the whole click-and-remove process from typing long messages. It's nice. But for other purposes, yeah, not ideal.

9. billandy macrumors regular

I have played with it in person at Vodafone store and confirm that indeed the whole screen can be pushed down and you need to do so for text inputs. Sort of like the new MacBook/Pro glass trackpad!

10. Project macrumors 68020

Its horrible. A click and release for *every* single letter makes it hard to type reasonably fast - which is the whole point of a BB device no?

11. billandy macrumors regular

btw, combined with the loudness of the speakers makes a very good big chunky panic button :)