Story of Another Happy Mac User

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by RainMeister, Dec 16, 2008.

1. RainMeister macrumors member

I just felt an urge to post this after my less than one year old company Thinkpad with Windows XP just crashed on me with a "Fatal Error" message. The PC lost my profile, and I got a blizzard of memory-related error messages before it shut down. As I'm working from my home office, this pile of brick is as useful to me as a door stop until our IT Dept can fix it (probably requiring a fresh reinstall of Windows).

I switched on my year-old iMac, and logged on to my company server via VPN without skipping a beat. First thing I did was to shoot off an email to IT about the problem, advising them that I was now typing on my home iMac, and telling them we should ditch these unreliable PCs.

Since moving back to the Mac a year ago, I've added two Macbooks (Blackbook, and recently an AlumiBook) to the iMac, all connected wirelessly via Airport Extreme. Gone are 3 desktop PCs and a laptop PC, together with the unreliable Linksys wireless router and 2 range expanders. I'll likely add a MBP sometime next Summer after the new processor is released.

The Macs and the Airport Extreme have worked flawlessly without any crashes or maintenance needs. I have now semi-retired from my duties as the home computer guy, and my family couldn't be happier. While many gripe that Apple products are pricey, I would gladly pay the difference again and again because it has saved me the time and the hassle.

Now I need to figure out a way to move my company away from the PCs and on to the Macs. If Macs are good enough for IBM, they should certainly be good enough for us.

2. Solemony macrumors 6502

Solemony

I absolutely hate PC. I used to have one many years ago (probably like 4 years). It crashed on me twice in the same year..the first time the computer caught a virus and it needed to do some cleaning and reinstall...and so was the second time. It was a disaster it was a little over a year old...>.>..

3. RainMeister thread starter macrumors member

It's funny how an inanimate object can cause such an emotional response. I was ready to heave my Thinkpad out the window before realizing I had 2 more years to go before the company allowed me a new laptop. Luckily, I don't have to deal with trying to get the thing to work again.

4. RainMeister thread starter macrumors member

Lenovo, and formerly made by IBM. As laptop PCs go, I think they're the best. I use the X61 ultra-portable.

I doubt it was a virus since the laptop has a robust set of firewalls, and antiviral software. IT also installed a browser filter that makes visiting those less than reputable sites impossible. I've got the iMac if I wanted to go to those sites. ;)