Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SpoonCody

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2014
waiting for jailbreak before considering :p
those renders look good, I will miss the sd card if I ever do switch back, since Im quite averse to getting gouged on the storage pricing

How long is the wait nowadays for jailbreak? Didn't the last one take something like 7 months...? Or am I wrong?

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
How long is the wait nowadays for jailbreak? Didn't the last one take something like 7 months...? Or am I wrong?

I wouldnt even wager to guess :p

thats about right for 6.1 to 7.0 I believe.

The wait from 7.0.x to 7.1 was shockingly short due to the new chinese jailbreak crew that came up from out of the blue

fredaroony

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2011
If you haven't been able to gather by now, I'm all about simplicity and ease lol. iCloud movies require no set up. Just click, buy and watch anywhere. It works for me because I don't have a fragmented device lineup. All my main stuff is Apple.

Mine too actually, except my phone and media server. I use a Mac Mini as a HTPC when the ATV3 cant play.

Cant get much easier than downloading from iTunes though but for me i have a library of over 1100 movies on my home theatre.

Doesnt take much to setup and works very well.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Mine too actually, except my phone and media server. I use a Mac Mini as a HTPC when the ATV3 cant play.

Cant get much easier than downloading from iTunes though but for me i have a library of over 1100 movies on my home theatre.

Doesnt take much to setup and works very well.

Ya, my collection is about 60 or so movies.....not difficult to manage. All stored on my iMac and home shared across my AppleTVs/iPads.

I've thought about doing something more robust, but just don't have the time nor the money to buy and set it up.

fredaroony

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2011
Ya, my collection is about 60 or so movies.....not difficult to manage. All stored on my iMac and home shared across my AppleTVs/iPads.

I've thought about doing something more robust, but just don't have the time nor the money to buy and set it up.

Plex is a 10 min setup on your existing iMac. You could start a movie on your ATV and finish it on your iPad.

Works very well.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Plex is a 10 min setup on your existing iMac. You could start a movie on your ATV and finish it on your iPad.

Works very well.

I'll be downloading it this evening.....friend of mine also told me to do so.

----------

Works very well.

How do you get Plex on the ATV?

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
It isn't supported natively, so you have to use a workaround called PlexConnect. Downside is you will never know if an update to the ATV firmware will break the functionality. You're better off investing in a Chromecast or Roku, IMO.

I've thought about a Chromecast....will probably pull the trigger on it when I pick up my Nexus 5....whenever they go on firesale for the next model ;)

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I'll be downloading it this evening.....friend of mine also told me to do so.

----------

PLEX is great JR, personally been using it for year but just be warned that you won't be able to play iTunes purchased media through it. I may be wrong but thought I recall seeing you mention somewhere that you purchase some of your video via iTunes.

And I'll second using a Chromecast with PLEX--awesome travel solution, kept me sane when spending a week at the in-laws. ;) And it plays very nicely with iOS devices.

fredaroony

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2011

Ok few more steps in this but it isnt too hard https://github.com/iBaa/PlexConnect/wiki/Install-Guide

You basically install the plexconnect somewhere i.e. your iMac and better to have a static IP.

You create some SSL certificates from the ATV and place them on your iMac then load two extra profiles on your ATV then change it's DNS setting to your iMac IP address.

It's actually not hard and worth it.

Install video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dOxozFtoYs

Demo http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljbWHfpsflc

----------

PLEX is great JR, personally been using it for year but just be warned that you won't be able to play iTunes purchased media through it. I may be wrong but thought I recall seeing you mention somewhere that you purchase some of your video via iTunes.

And I'll second using a Chromecast with PLEX--awesome travel solution, kept me sane when spending a week at the in-laws. ;) And it plays very nicely with iOS devices.

You should be able to play the purchased media https://forums.plex.tv/index.php/topic/74526-unable-to-use-drmed-movies-through-plexconnect/

----------

It isn't supported natively, so you have to use a workaround called PlexConnect. Downside is you will never know if an update to the ATV firmware will break the functionality. You're better off investing in a Chromecast or Roku, IMO.

My Chromecast always buffers with Plex even though my ATV, Mac mini and Roku sitting next to it are fine.

Kind of gave up on it to be honest.

Fanaticalism

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2013
Those renders looks great to me. Looks like a premium device that while familiar, has a sense of being something new.

SpoonCody

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2014
Those renders looks great to me. Looks like a premium device that while familiar, has a sense of being something new.

I'm really split down the middle. I think they look good, but also kind of ugly in their own way.

I wonder how much they'll weigh. I have a feeling they'll be very light.

Also wonder if Apple will save more of the premium features for the larger 5.5" iPhone. There were rumors that they'd save the sapphire glass, or the OIS camera... That would suck for the 4.7" if true, but hopefully not.

jjusmo

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2013
I never understood these renders or mockups...ppl dont have better things to do than fantasize about upcoming phones/tech and spend hours and hours creating these fake ads?? Oh well i guess everyone can spend their time how they want..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.