Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

With Technology always progressing. What form of unlocking would you now prefer?

• Total voters

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
Ultrasonic on S10 is not very good. Heck, even TheVerge concluded......Samsung should just copy FaceID. :D

Not according to this:

https://www.theverge.com/2019/2/20/...int-sensor-screen-reader-ultrasonic-protector
[doublepost=1552014821][/doublepost]I haven't used Face ID, so I can't comment on the experience, but knowing my phone habits, I know that in certain situations using Face ID with be less convenient than Touch ID.

One being the ability to unlock the iPhone while driving without looking at the phone.

Now, if CarPlay, and the apps on CarPlay didn't have the bugs that it has, this wouldn't be a problem, but as it works now, Touch ID enables me to unlock my iPhone without looking at it and just by feeling.

I know the poll was picking one or the other, but I wished that the iPhone had both or at least an option for a Touch ID under the glass.

Reactions: decypher44

HolyGrail

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2010
Planet Earth
Not according to this:

https://www.theverge.com/2019/2/20/...int-sensor-screen-reader-ultrasonic-protector
[doublepost=1552014821][/doublepost]I haven't used Face ID, so I can't comment on the experience, but knowing my phone habits, I know that in certain situations using Face ID with be less convenient than Touch ID.

One being the ability to unlock the iPhone while driving without looking at the phone.

Now, if CarPlay, and the apps on CarPlay didn't have the bugs that it has, this wouldn't be a problem, but as it works now, Touch ID enables me to unlock my iPhone without looking at it and just by feeling.

I know the poll was picking one or the other, but I wished that the iPhone had both or at least an option for a Touch ID under the glass.

Totally agree, it makes more sense to have given customers a choice.

Last edited:

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
I haven’t use the S10 yet, so I’m not sure. FaceID is cool, though.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
How about ultra sonic with no notch?

Versus

Face ID with notch?

I’ll take ultra sonic no notch

So, you’re basing your decision on the ‘notch’ design and not the functionality of the fingerprint sensor? Seems more logical to actually test the fingerprint sensor to make You’re decision if I was choosing.

HolyGrail

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2010
Planet Earth
How about ultra sonic with no notch?

Versus

Face ID with notch?

I’ll take ultra sonic no notch

Well both technologies as of this time have their own respective notches, so this poll would reflect that.

Hopefully one day we won't need them.

Thai

Suspended
Feb 2, 2016
Colorado
Not according to this:

Old article before they actually use it on daily basis.

TheVerge REAL S10 review: https://www.theverge.com/2019/3/1/1...lus-android-phone-review-price-specs-features

“The target area for the reader is rather small (though the lockscreen will show you a diagram of where to place your finger) and I had to be very deliberate with my finger placement to get it to work.

Even then, I often had to try more than once before the S10 would unlock. I’d just rather have a Face ID system that requires less work to use, or at the very least, an old-school fingerprint scanner on the back of the phone. The S10 does have a face unlock feature, but it’s just using the camera to look for your face and compare it to a previous image — there’s no 3D mapping or anything. I was actually able to unlock the S10 with a video of my face played on another phone.

But here’s my feedback to Samsung: go copy Apple’s Face ID system. It’s far easier and more reliable to use than the S10’s nifty-looking but ultimately disappointing in-screen fingerprint scanner.”

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Android Police review:

“More substantial an issue is the dreaded in-screen fingerprint reader. I don’t want to say I hate it. I really, really don’t like it, though. After a patch to address its performance was issued to my phone mid-review, it got better, but this is still such a downgrade from even Samsung’s badly-placed capacitive scanners in terms of experience. Even after over two full weeks with the phone, my thumbs never developed good enough muscle memory to land dead on the scanner more than 50% of the time, and there’s no haptic feedback to let you know the scanner is reading or if an unlock was successful (this boggles my mind). While it’s not Nokia 9 bad - Ryan is all but prepared to call that phone unrecommendable - it’s that terrible - the in-display fingerprint scanner is in all material respects a regression from the capacitive sensors in last year’s phones. What's worse is that it's gotten even more unreliable the more I've used it, as though the phone is unlearning my fingerprint. It's maddening. This was a bad decision, and it’s the one thing that I think truly mars the Galaxy S10 in my eyes. It’s not a deal-breaker, it’s just… not good.”

In every way, a functional and practical regression from a capacitive scanner. Go back to the drawing board (read: Face ID), Samsung.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Another Android reviewer who are disappointed:

https://www.androidauthority.com/samsung-galaxy-s10-plus-review-961423/

“In my testing, the fingerprint reader on the Samsung Galaxy S10 was extremely inconsistent. Samsung issued a software update a couple of days after we received the device which was meant to help with accuracy, but I didn’t see much improvement after re-registering my thumbs. The optical reader on the OnePlus 6T has been much faster and more reliable so far....”

And this site rarely say anything bad about Android!! Lol

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TheVerge did another review on smaller S10...same conclusion:

“Speaking of the fingerprint scanner, it is the same as the one on the S10 Plus, which means that it’s not very good. It is slower and less accurate than the capacitive fingerprint scanners on many other phones, including last year’s Galaxy S9, and it’s nowhere near as convenient as the facial identification system on Apple’s iPhone XS and XR. Removing the preinstalled screen protector did improve my hit rate, but I’m still not a fan of this fingerprint scanner.”

————————————————————————-----------------------------------------—

CNET:

“The ultrasonic fingerprint reader in the other Galaxy S10 phones is supposed to be a huge advantage. It's meant to be faster, more secure and work through water and grease. But the Galaxy S10 Plus' in-screen fingerprint scanner hasn't lived up to the promise. Fingerprint recognition is hit or miss, and it takes a beat to unlock the phone. There are definitely limitations for wet and greasy fingers, and that's after two software updates.”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PCMag:

"But that's the thing—you have to hit the screen at the exact right spot. Hitting it off-center results in rejected touches. There's no visual guideline to do so when the screen is off, and no physical guide (like the ridge of a physical sensor) at all. The sensor is less accurate with a wet finger, and not usable at all with a dirty or goopy finger.

The fingerprint sensing area is a small spot near the bottom of the phone. There's no physical guide to it, and you do have to press that spot precisely. An off-center touch won't work, and too quick a tap will result in a message saying, "Keep your finger on the sensor a little longer." A definite press of the pad of your finger is the best bet."

My results with dry fingers depended on the style of touch and which finger I used. With a definite press of my right thumb, I got 100 percent accuracy. With my left thumb, I only got 80 percent, perhaps because of the different angle I was pressing at. With quick, thoughtless touches or swipes of my thumb, recognition went down to 50 to 60 percent, leading me to turn facial recognition on.
"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Consumer Reports:

For me and many others, the fingerprint scanner on the back of Samsung’s older Galaxy phones was a routine source of irritation. While reaching for it with my finger, I invariably smudged the rear camera lenses.

The S10 and S10+ eliminate that problem by embedding the scanner in the front display. And that’s great when it works. To unlock the phone, you simply place your finger on the screen. But the new technology can be buggy. More often than not, I fell back on the option of drawing the phone’s unlock pattern or using the less than perfectly secure 2D facial recognition to unlock my phone.

Enough said.

[doublepost=1552044018][/doublepost]

The problem is that the current ultrasonic scanner (in S10) has a small area. So, while driving, you won't be able to unlock your phone unless you get it just right.......and to do so, requires much more attention from you than FaceID. In my car, i have my iPhone mounted on AC vent up high. I just glance and it unlocks. With S10, you have to look at your phone much more to guide your finger to appropriate area. You canNOT unlock S10 by "feel".

There is only so much space inside a phone for all these techs. That's why Samsung also got rid of iris scanner.

BTW, how can you be critical of FaceID when you have not used it?
[doublepost=1552044078][/doublepost]
Totally agree, it makes more sense to have given customers a choice.

Choice? Half-assed choice? Sorry, i rather Apple keep on concentrating on and improving FaceID...for example, like how it did with the iPad Pro FaceID.

Last edited:

tt061282

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2018
Nevada
How about a choice for both? I think there should be a ultrasonic in-display fingerprint sensor and face biometrics. We’re paying upwards of $1,000 for these devices now... choices are great.

Personally if I had to choose I’d go with an ultrasonic fingerprint sensor

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Old article before they actually use it on daily basis.

TheVerge REAL S10 review: https://www.theverge.com/2019/3/1/1...lus-android-phone-review-price-specs-features

“The target area for the reader is rather small (though the lockscreen will show you a diagram of where to place your finger) and I had to be very deliberate with my finger placement to get it to work.

Even then, I often had to try more than once before the S10 would unlock. I’d just rather have a Face ID system that requires less work to use, or at the very least, an old-school fingerprint scanner on the back of the phone. The S10 does have a face unlock feature, but it’s just using the camera to look for your face and compare it to a previous image — there’s no 3D mapping or anything. I was actually able to unlock the S10 with a video of my face played on another phone.

But here’s my feedback to Samsung: go copy Apple’s Face ID system. It’s far easier and more reliable to use than the S10’s nifty-looking but ultimately disappointing in-screen fingerprint scanner.”

Enough said.
[doublepost=1552044018][/doublepost]

The problem is that the current ultrasonic scanner (in S10) has a small area. So, while driving, you won't be able to unlock your phone unless you get it just right.......and to do so, requires much more attention from you than FaceID. In my car, i have my iPhone mounted on AC vent up high. I just glance and it unlocks. With S10, you have to look at your phone much more to guide your finger to appropriate area. You canNOT unlock S10 by "feel".

There is only so much space inside a phone for all these techs. That's why Samsung also got rid of iris scanner.

[doublepost=1552044078][/doublepost]

Choice? Half-assed choice? Sorry, i rather Apple keep on concentrating on and improving FaceID...for example, like how it did with the iPad Pro FaceID.
There’s a way to get the FPS to stay on the always on display so you will always know where to put your finger to unlock.

KOTN91

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2017
Samsungs’s multiple biometric features is tacky and very gimmicky. I doubt any of them work particularly well either. Prefer the beauty and simplicity of face id

Thai

Suspended
Feb 2, 2016
Colorado
There’s a way to get the FPS to stay on the always on display so you will always know where to put your finger to unlock.

But then that REQUIRES you to put eyeballs on it while driving. Worst than quick glance with FaceID.
[doublepost=1552051477][/doublepost]
Unless you have actually used it you will not understand just how well it works. I love that I can have my phone flat on a table and unlock it without picking it up. Amazing!

Many reviewers have said same as TheVerge. Not reliable. Slow. Have to look.

I can unlock my iPhone XS too on flat surface. Unless you have actually use it, you will not understand how well it works.

Reactions: Wide opeN

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
But then that REQUIRES you to put eyeballs on it while driving. Worst than quick glance with FaceID.

I can unlock my iPhone XS too on flat surface. Unless you have actually use it, you will not understand how well it works.
Well that's just a lie, i have used face Id and no it can't unlock while flat on a table. I've posted a video on here showing how fast the fps is, dont believe everything you read on the internet.

Thai

Suspended
Feb 2, 2016
Colorado
Well that's just a lie, i have used face Id and no it can't unlock while flat on a table. I've posted a video on here showing how fast the fps is, dont believe everything you read on the internet.

Lie?

Check my recent posts regarding how. Set Alternate FaceID with phone on your belly. Easy.
[doublepost=1552052277][/doublepost]
So, I guess this means you have used the S10 with the Ultrasonic fingerprint reader?

Just read basically any reviews of S10. Heck even Android reviewers are disappointed.

https://www.androidauthority.com/samsung-galaxy-s10-plus-review-961423/

“In my testing, the fingerprint reader on the Samsung Galaxy S10 was extremely inconsistent. Samsung issued a software update a couple of days after we received the device which was meant to help with accuracy, but I didn’t see much improvement after re-registering my thumbs. The optical reader on the OnePlus 6T has been much faster and more reliable so far....”

And this site rarely say anything bad about Android!! Lol

Last edited:

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK

Hmm you have to look at your phone to unlock it unless you have attention awareness turned off which is unsafe while driving.

I’ve never had much luck with unlocking my iPhone when it’s flat on a table unless I lean right over it.

Reactions: decypher44

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014

So, I guess this means you have used the S10 with the Ultrasonic fingerprint reader?

Just read basically any reviews of S10. Heck even Android reviewers are disappointed.

So, I am confused...

I should not be critical of something I have not used, but many, many other people have been using and reviewing it for a while.

Meanwhile, you are critical of a product that you and hardly anyone else has used or reviewed?

I know my habits, preferences, and typical scenarios I will be in with my electronic devices, just like you know how you use your phone.

Maybe how you use your phone makes it perfect for Face ID, while Face ID would be inconvenient for how I use my phone.

This can be perfectly illustrated here:

In my car, i have my iPhone mounted on AC vent up high.

So, while driving, you won't be able to unlock your phone unless you get it just right.......and to do so, requires much more attention from you than FaceID

All of this requires the iPhone to be mounted in a position to be able to glace at it, which would not be ideal for me.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
FaceID. I like to use a glass screen protector on my devices. They're truly spectacular now. The fingerprint sensor on the S10 apparently doesn't work with that setup.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.