Straight Scoop on late '08 uniMBP Memory

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Trimmer2, Aug 24, 2009.

1. Trimmer2 macrumors member

What is the STRAIGHT scoop on how much memory a late '08 15" uniMBP with LED Cinemax running will be able to use with Snow Leopard....or in the near future?

Currently, I have 4g's and often have Parallels running with Windows Vista for my trading platform running 24hrs. I use OSX for EVERYTHING else. When running Vista it seems to get VERY close to using all 4 gigs (realistically 3+gigs). I also have a MacMini with 4 gigs running a LED screen with the same issue.

Should I just get a 6 gig upgrade or do a full 8?

I'm afraid I'll have to anti up and get a MacPro with 3 graphic cards to run 3 screens and keep my MBP as my mobile trading solution.

What's the STRAIGHT scoop?

2. Sirmausalot macrumors 6502a

Sirmausalot

More information

your best source for information and RAM is Other World Computing They also have Live Chat Support.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

6 gig

8 won't work or if it does, the odds are high that your machine will be unstable. Its not that apple didn't want you to upgrade but it seems that the current version of the nvidia chipsets in the 08 unibody MBPs are unstable with memory > 6 gig.

Some people have reported no issues, but they're the minority and given the cost of 8gig, I'd say go with the sure bet - 6 gig.

4. jamesryanbell macrumors 68020

jamesryanbell

The "straight scoop" I've always heard/read is that 6GB is the way to go. Don't worry about it not being dual-channel. It's not that big of a deal. 8GB flat out won't work....massive instability problems.