Straight scratches on cd/dvd from Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jsjs525, Jun 2, 2008.

1. jsjs525 macrumors newbie

Sorry to all, I've searched in multiple places and haven't found anything relating to these types of scratches. I was told at the mac store that I've been carrying it wrong forcing the cd drive to contort, the end result is straight scratches by only what I can assume is the piece that actually grabs the disk to bring it the rest of the way into the disk drive....due to a few problems with my protection plan the store that I visited in Reno wanted me to drop another $450 to have them fix it. I'm at the stage where if I were to give the apple store any more money it would be on another laptop even though the one I'm currently using is only a year old....

either way, what occurs is that when I try to put a disk in straight and level it won't allow it, it's blocked after putting in only about a 1/2 inch. I can put it in a short ways with the inserted part angled upward but a few inches in and you can hear a scratching sound...after taking it out the plastic shredding that was just taken off is still hanging off the disk.

I have managed to slip a disk in at an angle and force the piece, that scratches it, down which has allowed me to put a disk in without scratching it, getting it out will still scratch it every now and then....and i end up having to repeat this process every time I want to put a disk in....

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated....thanks in advance

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

What do you mean a problem with your protection plan?

And you will need this fixed either yourself or by Apple.

3. jsjs525 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll admit this is the first mac I've ever owned (bought it for photo-editing) and well, when I first got it the guy said that he was entering the information for my protection plan, he gave me the packet saying that all I had to do was bring it in with the packet whenever there was a problem. During a trip to Mammoth, a couple of weeks ago, I realized that I didn't have a plug to charge it, so i went out to reno to pick one up, that was a couple days after the first problem with the cd drive started and so i figured I'd have them look at it, they said it was out of warranty, I said different and when I get home I open up the package and (re)install the software that I thought the guy had already done for me and I find out that my protection plan is void because the guy never installed it....so now I'm fighting with the store over the problem. They have the record that I bought the protection plan the same day I got the computer but it was never activated as I was lead to believe....