Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Paulyboy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 26, 2007
With IOS 7 dropping tomorrow I still haven't found a definitive answer about what might happen if I upgrade my jailbroken iPhone 4S from IOS 6.1 to IOS 7? I know I'll lose the jailbreak, which is fine, but what I'm concerned about is my Straight Talk service. Will it still work after restoring from a backup I'll make before I upgrade? If yes, what about MMS and SMS?

My iPhone 4S was purchased from Craigslist last year. The AT&T Straight Talk sim I'm using was purchased from Straight Talk's website earlier this year, right before the AT%T Straight Talk sims started to disappear. It wasn't the micro sim version so I had to cut it down to size.

So does anybody know the answer to this? I'd really like to upgrade to IOS 7 for a number of reasons, particularly the Siri improvements because I'm disabled and already get alot of use out of Siri.

Thanks for any help.

-PN

technoxic

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2013
Same Concern

Hi!

I also have an iPhone 4s that I bought from Craigslist, running on 6.1.3 and Straight Talk service, and am wanting to update to iOS 7. I have already updated on my Verizon iPhone 5, and really like the update.

So, if you want me to be the "guinea pig" and try it out, I can let you know the results. My iPhone 4s isn't Jailbroken, so like you, I'm not concerned about that. I'd think that the only thing we might need to do after updating is re-install the APN settings for Straight Talk. I'm hoping that it's that simple.

I'll keep you posted.

-Technoxic

Last edited:

Z8beema

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2013
Mass.
I bravely took the plunge into ios 7 with an att iPhone 4S that is not jail broken or unlocked on straight talk and am pleased to note that the tmobile sim swap method still works perfectly. Some people have noted its a little bit tougher but I did not notice any difference from ios 6 to ios 7 in terms of difficulty of the son swap method. And for the record it doesn't specifically need to be a tmobile SIM card I use a simple mobile sim and it works perfectly. Hope I helped

technoxic

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2013
Success!

Well, I went ahead and jumped right into the update. It went flawless and seamlessly - no other actions needed.

I noticed this inquiring posted on another website, so hopefully you had the same success and resolve, OP.

WOOHOO!! :)

stuser

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2013
Texas
Does MMS work fine? If so can you share the APN settings you are using.

After I updated to iOS 7 I had to redo the APN on my factory unlocked iPhone 5, but MMS worked fine after I reentered the APN info. I was on the Straight Talk BYOP (Bring Your Own Phone) SIM program using the AT&T network. I just got a new SIM for LTE (installed today) with them so now I have different settings than these.

My settings were:

APN: att.mvno
Username:
Password:

Username:
Password:
MMSC: http://mmsc.cingular.com:80
MMS Proxy: 66.209.11.33
MMS Max Message Size: (this was blank, but prefilled in 1048576 on its own and I left it and it works just fine)​

webworks415

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2008
After I updated to iOS 7 I had to redo the APN on my factory unlocked iPhone 5, but MMS worked fine after I reentered the APN info. I was on the Straight Talk BYOP (Bring Your Own Phone) SIM program using the AT&T network. I just got a new SIM for LTE (installed today) with them so now I have different settings than these.

My settings were:

Username:
Password:

Username:
Password:
MMSC: http://mmsc.cingular.com:80
MMS Proxy: 66.209.11.33
MMS Max Message Size: (this was blank, but prefilled in 1048576 on its own and I left it and it works just fine)​

Thank you. Is there a way to call ST and ask for a replacement SIM, or are they making current customers pay for them?

Paulyboy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 26, 2007
Successful Update

I successfully updated my jailbroken iPhone 4S to IOS 7 today and data, MMS, and SMS all still work. I plugged my iPhone into my Mac and through iTunes performed a backup then restored the phone to factory settings before finally updating to IOS 7. After that I restored from the backup that I had just done. So fortunately pretty smooth sailing for me.

There's a few jailbreak tweaks I'm definitely going to miss but so far I like IOS 7 enough that I think I'll be fine. At the very least it's nice getting my iPhone back to a "it just works" state. I can't say that I had a lot of problems when I was jailbroken but there's something to be said for not having to worry about tweak conflicts and IOS updates.

Good luck to any other early adopters.

-PN

mrsm83

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2013
Before i update...

Hello,
Will the 4s still receive MMS on Straight Talk on ios 7 if it's not jailbroken (but unlocked)?

If so, what APN Settings did you use to get that?
Thank you!
I successfully updated my jailbroken iPhone 4S to IOS 7 today and data, MMS, and SMS all still work. I plugged my iPhone into my Mac and through iTunes performed a backup then restored the phone to factory settings before finally updating to IOS 7. After that I restored from the backup that I had just done. So fortunately pretty smooth sailing for me.

There's a few jailbreak tweaks I'm definitely going to miss but so far I like IOS 7 enough that I think I'll be fine. At the very least it's nice getting my iPhone back to a "it just works" state. I can't say that I had a lot of problems when I was jailbroken but there's something to be said for not having to worry about tweak conflicts and IOS updates.

Good luck to any other early adopters.

-PN

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.