Straight Talk breaks AT&T unlock (according to AT&T)

jdpruitt

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 15, 2011
According to AT&T, they refuse to unlock my iPhone 4S (Early Termination Fee completely paid, account closed) due to "ownership being transferred to Tracfone."

Their logic is the following:

Even though I was a paying customer for years, as soon as you put the magical Straight Talk microsim into your iPhone for 5 seconds it will break the unlock. Therefore, they are not allowed to unlock it. "The ownership shows it is from a reseller."

This is despite a full account history they have in front of them (subsidized through AT&T, purchased through them.)

Anyone else have this problem?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Never heard of that before.
The ownership of the phone is yours not straightalks. You're just using a ST sim that's all.
I'd try again and hopefully you get a better rep to work with.
Some of them will give you any BS excuse not to unlock it.

kalex

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2007
According to AT&T, they refuse to unlock my iPhone 4S (Early Termination Fee completely paid, account closed) due to "ownership being transferred to Tracfone."

Their logic is the following:

Even though I was a paying customer for years, as soon as you put the magical Straight Talk microsim into your iPhone for 5 seconds it will break the unlock. Therefore, they are not allowed to unlock it. "The ownership shows it is from a reseller."

This is despite a full account history they have in front of them (subsidized through AT&T, purchased through them.)

Anyone else have this problem?
Complete and utter BS by useless customer service rep. Hang up and redial. Get another rep to do it

jdpruitt

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 15, 2011
Update

Just wanted to update anyone who might Google a similar problem and come across this thread:

After speaking to three (yes, three) AT&T supervisors / managers, it popped into my head what the problem was.

I got the iPhone 4S not long after release, and noticed the compass wasn't working. I took the phone to an Apple store and they took a look and gladly replaced it for me.

I hadn't even thought about it since it was so long ago.

This makes it so AT&T is expecting a completely different phone - it doesn't update on their end, and thus they refuse to unlock.

THE PROBLEM WAS, no one at AT&T understood what was happening (not even the three managers / supervisors), and I made the colossal mistake of MENTIONING that I had put a Straight Talk SIM card in the phone.

They didn't understand this. In their mind, another provider's SIM requires an unlock / jailbreak. So they continued to claim that somehow Straight Talk (Tracfone) had caused my phone to "have a different IMEI" which (as far as I know) is technologically impossible.

One of the AT&T managers agreed to do the unlock after I faxed them the repair receipt and after an Apple representative called AT&T with me on the line. (She was awesome, gotta love Apple's support.)

Anyway, good luck everyone.

Straight Talk worked out for me *sometime* but in the end I couldn't get much data in or out and it would frequently drop calls. Going to go with Virgin Mobile next time around.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Good job.
Yes, if you replace the phone and AT&T has a different IMEI for you on file they will give you crap. Im also glad I found the applecare replacement receipt for my 3GS cause they wouldnt unlock it for me either.
What a pain that was.
Wasted hours talking to incompetent reps only to get aggrevated.