Straight Talk Issues

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wynnandrewj, Sep 26, 2012.

1. wynnandrewj macrumors newbie

Hello,

My friend is having issues using her AT&T 4S on straight talk. Whenever she tries to use it she gets a message saying "Device is blocked from the network". Generally, this means that the device has been reported lost/stolen. However, when I called ATT they said that this IMEI has never been reported lost or stolen. Furthermore, I used Unlock Fusion to unlock it and even though it unlocked successfully via iTunes the message is still coming up. To complicate things further, the device works fine with an AT&T SIM.

ST customer service has been of absolutely no help. They continually tell me that the device is tagged as stolen despite explaining everything above to them. Does anybody have any idea what the issue could be and how to resolve it?

Any guidance is appreciated at this point.

Thanks,

Andrew

2. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I know a lot of people in other ST threads said they started off really good, and about a month later the internet speeds and issues went through the roof.

3. wynnandrewj thread starter macrumors newbie

At this point I can't even get it to activate for calls, let alone worry about slow internet speeds.

4. madsci954 macrumors 68030

A month!? I've been with them shy under 2 weeks now and have not seen decent speeds, despite the "4G" icon :confused:

5. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I actually meant the first month they came around haha. They were good for the first/two months they were around. Since, I have heard nothing but bad news.

6. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

Where in the country are you located? I am going on my 3rd month with ST and have not encountered any voice and/or data related issues. However, this will be my last month with them since I'm porting my number to AT&T once my iPhone 5 arrives.

OP, I would continue to call ST customer service until you get an associate who knows what they are talking about. It seems to be an issue on their end. Maybe have them send you a new ST SIM card?

-Nick

7. madsci954 macrumors 68030

NE Ohio-NW PA areas. If I look at AT&T's coverage map, where I live and work is right in the middle of their "4G HSPA+" zone. My calls and have been good but the data issues are still present.

Edit: tried to post a pic of my last Speedtest run but can't so the results were

161 ms ping
    0.00 Mbps down
    0.46 Mbps up

Every test I try gives similar results, with the highest down speeds around 1.0 Mbps.

8. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

Have you tried resetting the network settings? I don't know if that will make a difference, but it's worth a try.

9. madsci954 macrumors 68030

Well, that did something. I just did 4 more tests:

Ping (ms) 128, 128, 118, 139
    Down (Mbps) 3.05, 3.40, 2.12, 2.53
    Up (Mbps) 0.21, 0.83, 1.05, 0.81

Is that what I should expect? Also, if you look at the little speed chart under the dial, the downloads never start until the test is about 3/4 of the way complete.

10. Nothlit macrumors regular

If your APN profile includes the Straight Talk proxy, you will never get accurate results from the Speed Test app. You can use an APN profile that just has the "att.mvno" APN field, and nothing else (no proxy), and Speed Test will work better. Still may not be blazing fast, but I get 3-4 Mbps regularly in the Boston area, which is good enough for me.

11. madsci954 macrumors 68030

I'm using the profile from unlockit.co.nz and I think that's all they changed.

12. Nothlit macrumors regular

If you're using the "Straight Talk" profile from that site, then I think they include the proxy. Try using the generic "AT&T MVNO" profile instead.

13. gabriel925fm macrumors member

I've had terrible speeds with straightalk the last 2 months with my ip4s. I had to call them and ask them to resset my data every 2 or 3 days. Thats the main reson i sold my 4s and signup straight with at&t. I will pay a bit more but the speeds are great now.

14. madsci954 macrumors 68030

Changed it and after another Reset Network, bad news my down speeds went from 3-4 to 1-2. But the good news is that it's a consistent download now instead of a burst download. I'll try this for a couple days and see if there are any improvements.

15. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

I mean I know it depends on the area, but I generally get about 8-9mbps down. I'm also near what I suppose AT&T would consider a major city (Philly). Although when I'm out near central PA I still get relatively decent speeds as well (although I have not ran a test).

16. dkla macrumors newbie

My experience in Los Angeles has been pretty good -- selected pockets and/or periods of inactivity but the same as when I was under contract with ATT.

Waiting until the NanoSIMs come out for ST and then I'll be upgrading to the iPhone 5... :)