Carrier Straight Talk ups the ante

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by HRPufnstuf, May 18, 2014.

1. HRPufnstuf macrumors member

Straight talk sent text messages out today. Now included in the $45 unlimited plan, the high speed data cap is now 3GB up from 2.5GB.

2. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

Nice thing to add and I wasn't expecting it. But I never reached the high speed cap to being with ha

3. 869639 macrumors 6502

Been like this for a while...its written on the fine print on their site...

4. HRPufnstuf thread starter macrumors member

Uh. No it hasn't been like that for a while.
    That fine print was just updated today to reflect the change.

5. 869639, May 19, 2014
    Last edited: May 19, 2014

869639 macrumors 6502

Nope, I have been a ST user for over a year and have seen the 3GB fine print there for months now, I check regularly....and they put that there since they relaunched the AT&T SIM -- i don't know if you remember but they stopped selling it for some time.

Net10 was always 2.5GB but ST "UNLIMITED DATA" everyone always calculated 100x30 = ~3GB and I think thats something they took into consideration and decided it to be the limit before throttling the data.

Anyway you can believe or not its your call, but I know it because I have seen it there for months.

i think you are feeling it more to be now because ST has made the announcement public as many people didn't probably know before and the other reason ST made announcement public now is because its about time otherwise they are loosing market share to AIO and others .....basically competition is growing faster than ever and that too by Major carriers them self rather than other MVNOs.

AIO
    AT&T GOPhone <-- increased their cap from 2GB to 2.5GB -- AT FULL LOW PING LTE = Same as AT&T Post Paid customers
    T-Mobile's GoSmart
    T-Mobile's Univision
    H2O Wireless has increased data caps over the past 6 months
    RedPocket Mobile has also increased data caps over the past 6 months.

I do lots of market watching esp when recommending phone plans to people.

6. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

When was this changed? Because a couple months ago the fine print still read 2.5gb

7. Tiger8 macrumors 68020

I checked ST last week and it already said 3 GB on the fine print, was torn between going back to Net10 (still 2.5 GB btw) or Straight Talk so I checked

8. co.ag.2005, May 19, 2014

co.ag.2005 macrumors 65816

co.ag.2005

too bad AIO and GOPhone don't allow voice roaming on partner networks like Straight Talk / NET 10 do. I was very tempted by AIO for my wife and I but since we drive from Colorado to Wisconsin once a year, I didn't want to be stuck with no signal while driving across Nebraska (<-- that's not the only deal-breaker, though). (if I'm mistaken or you have any ideas to help out, please chime in ;) ).

I'm quite happy with my post-paid AT&T and 23% corporate discount but we're still trying to find ways to save money as we save for a house :)

sorry for off-topic, OP... carry on!

9. HRPufnstuf, May 19, 2014

HRPufnstuf thread starter macrumors member

Well anyway it was a nice increase and according to ST email CS it just began earlier this month. Thought it was a nice bump up.
    Aio(now redirecting to cricket wireless website) not only caps you at 2.5 they also cap your speed at 8mbps taken from the website. (High-speed data access allows download speeds of a maximum of 8 Mbps for compatible LTE devices and 4 Mbps for compatible HSPA+ devices.)
    No speed cap with ST that I've seen.

10. 869639 macrumors 6502

it definitely is good and that is a good advantage over AIO -- thats why to save a few bucks/month I went from GoPhone $60 to $45 ST rather than AIO.

Wonder if they going to allow tethering like others as it is the "Cool" new thing to allow your customers to do lol

11. Afbar1114 macrumors 6502a

12. heyyitssusan macrumors 65816

It's been pretty fantastic for me. I've had both T-Mobile and Virgin Mobile (Sprint towers) and my ST 5S runs off AT&T towers, so therefore I get great coverage and great LTE. It just depends on what area you live in.

13. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

Question about Straight Talk...I want to get an iPhone 5S on their network, but they only offer the 16GB from their website. I want to purchase the 64GB 5S. Can I order an unlocked 5S from Apple's website and still have it work on Straight Talk? Thanks.

14. co.ag.2005 macrumors 65816

co.ag.2005

yes. and just order the sim+service from their site

http://www.straighttalk.com/wps/portal/home/shop/sims#.U3uvAijB3Uc

NOTE: a verizon, AT&T, or T-Mobile iPhone 5s will work on the GSM phone section and operate on either AT&T or T-Mobile's network... the verizon 5s is unlocked from the factory, AT&T will work out of the box with the AT&T phone selection at the above link (I'm pretty sure) and T-Mobile with the T-Mobile selection.

you can probably buy a used 5s from swappa.com or something if you don't want to pay full price for a new one.

15. kupkakez macrumors 68000

kupkakez

I thought with ST you couldn't stream anything per their ToS? I have Aio which as of Sunday is now Cricket, and I have no problems with it. 2.5GB of data for $45 a month.

16. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

Cool, thanks. Should I order the one with the T-Mobile SIM or the one without the SIM?

17. co.ag.2005, May 20, 2014
    Last edited: May 20, 2014

co.ag.2005 macrumors 65816

co.ag.2005

I think they've loosened up on what you can stream. I think pandora, youtube, etc. are all ok now but I'm not 100% sure. I'll let someone that has ST chime in.

EDIT: but don't take my word for it if you are trying to switch :) I've been reading a lot on ST for the last several years and try to keep up on the MVNO scene even though I've been with AT&T post-paid forever

18. co.ag.2005 macrumors 65816

co.ag.2005

my opinion is to go with the AT&T sim, but that's because I use them and when I travel, I like knowing I'll be on LTE or HSPA+ (4G). T-Mobile is great if you are in a large metro and never travel as they have great LTE/HSPA+ speeds but quickly drop to EDGE outside of cities.

Choosing the Unlocked or AT&T option will get you an AT&T sim
    Choosing the T-Mobile option will get you a T-Mobile sim

just make sure you choose the appropriate one if your phone is not unlocked. if you get the Verizon 5s or an unlocked from the factory 5s, it'll work on either

It's your call on which network to get, but my opinion is AT&T

19. 869639 macrumors 6502

From my what I know, you will not get LTE on T-Mobile Straight Talk service....LTE is only limited to AT&T SIM's.

----------

Read above

----------

They didn't have a issue with it, I have been on/off straight talk user for years (3+) and I have used any and all phones without thinking twice including streaming radio, maps, youtube videos etc, the reason they said "we don't allow it" back then was because there were (and have been) select users who abuse the data -- using 10GB+/month so to discourage overall high data usage, they discouraged the use of streaming audio / video which included pandora and youtube and others.

20. co.ag.2005 macrumors 65816

co.ag.2005

Thanks. Good to know!