Straight To Voicemail Feature?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Booju16, Jun 17, 2010.

1. Booju16 macrumors member

Will the iPhone 4 incorporate this feature into their new handset??? I notice the droids have this feature, and with my circumstances and lifestyle this feature sure could come in handy for unwanted attention...

2. iArch macrumors regular

iArch

iPhone already does this. During an incoming call, press the power button once to silence the ring, or twice to send call straight to voicemail. Or do you mean have the call to go voicemail without the phone ever ringing? If so, just switch to silent with the rocker, or go into airplane mode.

3. Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

That's not a true 'straight-to-voicemail' feature.

4. Booju16 thread starter macrumors member

Hmmm, not quite...I don't want to do it manually....I just want to place the contact on 'straight to voicemail', so that when they call, my phone automatically does it, comprende?

5. iArch macrumors regular

iArch

Well now that you word it that way, yes.

6. Juan007 macrumors 6502a

Juan007

Don't worry, with AT&T you'll be able to enjoy the straight to voicemail "feature" to your heart's content.

7. dragon13 macrumors member

dragon13

Haha so true. The worst part is, when I don't have signal, it usually rings twice and then goes to vmail. People always think I'm ignoring the call ...before I explain I have ATT and it's not going through.

8. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

There are times when I wish it DID have this as a feature. AFAIK, it does not.
    Pardon me for not remembering who posted this suggestion, but someone mentioned switching to Airplane Mode. Does that work in terms of sending calls immediately to voicemail?
    Of course, even if it does, it doesn't allow for selective application of this feature on a number by number basis which would be sweet!

9. Cambot macrumors regular

I thought you could set a ringtone per the one contact as "Silent" or none but I don't seet hat as an option...

10. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

You can download a "Silent" ringtone and set that as the ringtone for a particular contact, but it will still "ring" on the end of the person who is calling you and THEN go to voicemail. But it won't go directly to voicemail with that setup.

11. tasslehawf macrumors 6502

I'm a fast draw on that top button - plus the phone vibrates twice before it rings if you set it to.

12. MacToddB macrumors 6502a

MacToddB

Right. We provide a "Silent" ringtone in our apps, several of which are free.

You could download 9,999 Ringtones Uncensored FUNNY, which is free, and select SILENT as the intro sound effect, and leave the text empty then CREATE. Or, you could use the 'quiet' voice and have a short message spoken like "sending to voicemail". Lots of options.

13. Rooftop voter macrumors 6502a

Well, if you wanna jailbreak, you can use iblacklist. There is a feature that does exactly what you want.

14. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

Yep, you can also set it so they get a busy signal, etc.. Great apps, some of the features should be standard on the phone.

15. rablat macrumors 6502a

rablat

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, only if you JB and install iblacklist.

17. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

mCleaner seems to be better than iBlacklist, IMO. Plus, I tried to contact iBlacklist a few times over the past three months, not one response. If they're going to act like that with a paid customer, it would be a civil duty to steer potential customers away.

I've asked about this many times, and we might see a "Do Not Disturb" feature in Settings. In the meantime, I've just been taking the extra steps to set Call Forward to go straight to the voicemail number.

18. Jason S. macrumors 6502a

You can now disable the cell network while keeping Wi-Fi on in Settings in iOS4. This is the closest you're going to get to straight-to-voicemail right now. If the cell network is off, your calls will be sent straight-to-voicemail, but you'll only be able to use a Wi-Fi network if you want to send and receive data, and text messaging will also be turned off.

Tell Apple what you want: http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html

19. bndoarn macrumors 6502a

You could get google voice and it could do that although it could be kind of a hassle getting everyone to know your new number and you would have to wait for the GV invite.

20. jmmo20 macrumors 65816

Straight to voicemail is a network feature, not a handset one.

Handsets can "emulate" this feature by automatically rejecting any incoming calls. Depending on the network, callers might hear one or two rings before the voicemail is connected, so they could be alerted there's being a call rejection.

If you want, you can activate the network "unconditional diversion" to voicemail. Type *21*voicemailnumber#. To disconnect #21#.

21. alangrehan macrumors regular

This is very possible and in fact I do it all the time....

Go to Settings > Phone > Call Forwarding

Turn Call forwarding on and set the number to your Mailbox number (which in the UK on O2 is 901)

Then your screen will show a badge beside the network in the top left corner (see below) and all calls are diverted to voicemail without ringing. The phone will still connect to 3G and GPS and you can send recieve texts as normal.

Hope this helps.

[​IMG]

22. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

I'd be happy with the feature you speak of or a notification (like the text message) of a new call instead of wrenching me out of my app.

23. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

Haha. You're not alone. It irritates me as well when I have to repeat what I clearly said the first time (just like you did).

24. callmemike20 macrumors 6502a

callmemike20

Interesting. I didn't even know you could call forward with iPhone. Does this cost more money with AT&T (I wouldn't be surprised)?

25. alangrehan macrumors regular

Not sure about AT&T but in UK you pay for the forwarded call at the same rate as if you made the call from your iPhone...

Since calls to 901 are free when you are a pay monthly customer the forwarded calls are free too.
    :D