Carrier Straightalk or aio or net10

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Christian 5G, Jun 11, 2014.

1. Christian 5G macrumors 6502a

Christian 5G

Hello,

Mostly I am asking people (if there are) from Montana state. I am moving to MT for education (University in Bozeman) in about a few weeks and wondering what type of carrier (I would like prepaid) to get. So here are my choices as it says in the title
    1.Aio
    2. Straight talk
    3. Net10
    If there's something else then please help me out.

Also I'm not sure. aio is atat? And ST is Verizon's?

I am coming from California, and had Tmobile and it's been a great ride with them for only 30$ a month and overall I was satisfied. But unfortunately there's no tmobile in MT.

Thank you for your help!

----------

Also, to add I have unlocked tmobile/ atat iPhone 5s.

2. mattwallace24 macrumors regular

AT&T has combined Aio with Cricket (purchased by AT&T). Cricket is now the standard name going forward. It does utilize the AT&T network.

3. madsci954, Jun 12, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2014

madsci954 macrumors 68030

Things you should know with Cricket

1) LTE is capped at 8 Mbps. You may get a little more, but not much higher.

2) Your data is unlimited. You have LTE speeds up to your tier cap (500 MB, 2.5 GB, 5GB). After you reach your cap, you get throttled to Edge speeds until your month resets.

3) Prices are $40, $50, and $60 a month depending on your data cap. If you enroll in auto pay, you get a $5 credit on your monthly bill.

4) No tethering. Edit: with a jailbreak you can. I don't JB so I didn't know.

I have been using them for a few months now and I have been very satisfied with them.

4. 617aircav Suspended

I've used aio/ cricket for a year now. No issues at all. I was able to tether with jailbreak only. I tethered occasionally only.

5. Christian 5G thread starter macrumors 6502a

Christian 5G

Thank you for all your replies!

I decided to give a try to straight talk and if not good then I will go with aio

6. Christian 5G thread starter macrumors 6502a

Christian 5G

Ordered a now it's called a "cricket wireless" not aio SIM card. Looking forward on trying it out. Pretty excited about this, since it is covers same as AT&T area and when they throttle it is not like0.01 download speeds.

7. mike4realz macrumors newbie

there's also prepaid AT&T. for $60 (well i only pay $54) you get unlimited talk/text, 2.5gb data with wifi hotspot

8. iolinux333 macrumors 68000

What happens after 2.5GB? More charge or throttling?

9. gretafour macrumors regular

I've been with Straight Talk/Net10 (both TracFone Wireless) for almost two years now. Service has been great and I love prepaid. My only complaint is that the data on my 4S is occasionally unreliable. Best guess is that since MVNOs go through a proxy server, they are able to be pushed to the bottom of the priority when there is high traffic. But that is pure speculation on my part.

Overall I'm pleased, and I look forward to getting iPhone 6 and sticking with TracFone. Here's hoping that the data is a bit smoother over LTE.

10. 617aircav Suspended

data stops.

11. iolinux333 macrumors 68000

Really?!?

Ouch!

12. 617aircav Suspended

but you can buy more.

13. gretafour macrumors regular

It's prepaid; I don't think you can buy more.

In my experience with Net10, the data is not stopped, but instead throttled down to around 0.25Mbps, which is actually still usable for most things other than video. This is the same speed that ATT throttles to, which makes sense because the BYOD SIM card plan uses ATT.

I can't speak to the Verizon or T-mo versions.

14. 617aircav Suspended

Yes you can.

15. Christian 5G thread starter macrumors 6502a

Christian 5G

As it says I posted link below on cricket you can buy extra 1gb for 10$ ( pretty expensive) but if I need more data I will just get the 60$ plan -5$ autorefill so 55$ for unlimited talk/text and 5gb of data on lte, then throttled.

https://www.cricketwireless.com/cell-phone-plans