Straightening hair question...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by upsguy27, May 17, 2009.

1. upsguy27 macrumors 65816

upsguy27

So, my hair is dyed, and I have a simple question: Is it okay to straighten hair when it is dyed? Will it mess up the dye/my hair? By the way, I'm a guy if that matters.

2. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

I like this thread. I'm sorry I am of no help though. Quite the dilemma. :rolleyes:

3. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

It is okay, just be careful because both things can dry your hair. How are you planning on straightening your hair?

4. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Is your hair dyed or lightened?

Long ago (wow...feeling old now) I straightened my hair after lightening it. It worked okay - it kept the color and was, in fact, straight - but it was very, very coarse and hard to manage.

I don't think I would have had the same problem with dye - it didn't seem to damage my hair as much as lightening it did.

5. andreab35 macrumors 6502a

andreab35

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/7A300g Safari/525.20)

From a girl's standpoint:
    Since you colored your hair, I'd use shampoo and conditioner formulated for colored hair to keep it healthy and protected.
    Additionally, when straightening your hair, I highly recommend using a heat protection spray to put on your hair before you start straightening. This will prevent your hair from frizzing and drying out, and will give your hair a smoother and shinier feel to it. You can find the product in any drugstore.
    Good luck! :)

6. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

My hair is highlighted and I straighten it from time to time. No changes thus far.

7. upsguy27 thread starter macrumors 65816

upsguy27

I was planning on using one of those hair straighteners.

It's dyed. Went from brown to black.

Yeah, I already use conditioner for dyed hair.
    I'll be sure to do that. Thanks! :)

8. Sutekidane macrumors 6502a

Sutekidane

Oooh, I know all about this one!

I have heavily processed hair (bleached twice, colored)...
    The most important thing is keeping your hair moisturized. I love using Matrix Sleek System shampoo and conditioner. After that, I use paul mitchell super skinny serum, and blow dry.

Using plenty of super skinny serum or other flat iron spray (without alcohol) will keep your hair safe. Also, make sure your hair is 100% dry when you flat iron. If your hair feels rough/weak/gross then you need to find other ways to moisturize.

The flat iron is also important in keeping hair from getting damaged. I've used about 5 different brands, and CHI is the only one I can trust.

Hope this helps!

[​IMG]

9. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

You definitely need a heat protection spray then.