Straightening out the various "Pwning" tools

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by mathcolo, Jun 20, 2009.

1. mathcolo macrumors 6502a

Hi everyone...

So this morning I found that redsn0w was released... and I'm a little bit confused on the functionality of each of the tools. I wanted to see if what I'm understanding is correct.

yellowsn0w - a tool that allows a certain baseband of iPhone 3G to be unlocked, but with no 3.0
    PwnageTool - Now working with 3.0, a tool that allows customization of custom jailbreak software
    redsn0w - a duplicate of QuickPwn that works with 3.0 on certain devices? :confused:
    ultrasn0w - a pwning tool that allows iPhone 3G to be unlocked with the baseband included in 3.0? :confused:
    QuickPwn - like pwnagetool, but with less ability to customize and works without having to completely restore the device (no 3.0 yet)

2. mathcolo thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok, added. Are all those definitions of terminology correct?

3. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

Redsn0w isn't really a duplicate of quickpwn, it's not as polished (yet). As of right now, the latest redsn0w that has been publicly released is version 0.7-0.71 which implies it still has a ways to go before 1.0.

4. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

The current version of redsn0w works on all iphone/touch(other than 3gs, which hasn't been jailbroken yet).
    Quickpwn worked on all pre-3gs devices except for 2nd gen touch. However, a version of quickpwn for 3.0 hasn't been released.
    It looks to me like the dev team is pacing out quickpwn and replacing it with redsn0w.