Carrier StraightTalk + iPhone Upgrade Program

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bullfrog184, Sep 26, 2015.

1. bullfrog184 macrumors newbie

So I'm on StraightTalk (AT&T), but wanted to do the iPhone Upgrade Program on launch day. Technically, a condition of the plan is activation on AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile or Verizon. Hoping for the best, I reserved an AT&T iPhone. Yesterday, I went to the local Apple Store and picked it up. I had to sign up for an AT&T plan, but I wasn't required to activate/unbox in the store. At home, before powering the iPhone on for the first time, I removed the included AT&T SIM and put in my ST SIM. I powered it on and everything works great. Since it was never even on AT&T, I can't cancel the plan. I called AT&T today and asked them to cancel my AT&T phone number (printed on my Apple Store receipt), but they said there was nothing to cancel. My assumption is that if a certain number of days goes by without activation, the plan is cancelled. Since the phone is financed through Apple, not AT&T, I don't think this should cause any issue. I guess I'll know for sure in a few weeks.

But from where I'm sitting right now, this seems like an easy way to buy an unlocked iPhone and use it on ST, or whatever provider / MVNO you want... TODAY.

2. kupkakez macrumors 68000

kupkakez

I would check with ATT again next week just to be safe. I'd be curious how this turns out.

3. caridimondo macrumors newbie

caridimondo

Hi there, I was curious about doing this because I'm a GoPhone customer so I just chatted with an AT&T rep. He says that Apple may charge you the full remaining balance on the phone if you cancel the number associated with the upgrade program. I'd definitely keep an eye on the next payment cycle!

4. Sly13MacRumor macrumors newbie

It looks like you can reserve it on the Apple website for the iPhone Upgrade program.

However, according to the iUP terms and conditions:
    http://www.apple.com/legal/sales-support/iphoneupgrade_us/

Wireless Service Activation. The Financed iPhone requires activation on a new or existing wireless service plan with an eligible carrier under the carrier’s terms, and may be subject to an additional fee charged by your carrier.

So, I think you would still need to activate it on one of the four national carriers before you leave the store.