Straighttalk Official iPhone 4 Inquiry

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Snafubar, Jan 26, 2014.

1. Snafubar macrumors newbie

I have to be honest, I am not very knowledgeable on this kind of thing, and so far my google searches have produced zilch, BUT I was wondering if anyone might have some information on the ST iPhone 4.

More specifically, are they unlocked for use on any carrier? I've read a little about the ST iPhone 5 not being able to use LTE and such for whatever reason, but they can be used with other carriers.

To make it a little more difficult, I will be moving to Canada soon so I basically want to know if I need to get rid of the phone (Or use it as a glorified iPod), or if it will still be usable.

I don't know enough to figure this stuff out myself, and I can't try it until I move, so if anyone can help, I'd truly appreciate it.

To clarify, it is the iPhone 4 8GB, from Straight Talk/Walmart.

2. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

If I am not mistaken the straight talk iPhone 4 is CDMA therefore use with other carriers is much more limited than a GSM phone. You would need to get it unlocked and found out if there are any Canadian carriers that supports the bands your phone has.

3. Snafubar, Jan 26, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2014

Snafubar thread starter macrumors newbie

I looked up the model number and yes, unfortunately it is CDMA. I'd have to hope that a Canadian carrier is on a network that matches Verizon which, by my guess, is like trying to hit a bullseye while p*ssing in the wind... Kind of sucks but at least I can attempt to resell it or something before I move.