Strain Relief Late '08...grrr...

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by mst129, Jun 24, 2012.

1. mst129 macrumors newbie

My late 2008 Aluminum MacBook's MagSafe is breaking at the strain relief. The Applecare warranty ended in December 2011, and the blanket replacement deadline for out-of-warranty computers, as you might already know, was in May. I can get the adapter to work if I fiddle with it, but the damage is of the infamous strain relief type. There is no "accidental damage" on the computer or on the adapter. Will Apple cut me a month's slack if I discuss the situation with someone at the Genius Bar or at the toll-free number?

Think about it - up until that date in May, Apple was replacing adapters on six-year-old computers.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It doesn't hurt to try, if you ask nicely.

3. SpyderBite macrumors 65816

SpyderBite

Hope for the best. But prepare for the worst. In other words, bring your credit card for potential repair or replacement. :)

4. berone macrumors member

You could always try my wife's technique- go in person and bring a hungry toddler with you. I'm amazed at what she can get when the boy starts to wail!
    Plan B would be a used one from OWC for $35. http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Apple/MC461LLAU/