Strange 2011 MBP issues, SSD issue? Help!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by parkm13, Nov 11, 2015.

1. parkm13 macrumors regular

I have a 13" 2011 macbook pro. It has worked perfectly until about a month ago.

It has several issues. Starting with it freezing randomly and beeping (sets of three) until I force shut down. I have read this is usually a ram issue, so I bought and replaced the stock ram with 8GB from OWC.

On top of that issue (which still happens, but less frequently) The laptop will randomly freeze with no beeping sound. Again, a force shutdown is required.

Another thing it does is randomly shut itself down and restart.

Lastly, sometimes it will not go to sleep. The screen will turn off but the light that normally pulses when asleep stays sold. The laptop will get HOT as well.

All of these issues are completely random. Sometimes happening in sets, other times after 15 minutes of use, or even a few days apart. There is no coloration between this happening and what I am working on.

About a year ago I put in an intel SSD as well, again, everything worked fine with that until now.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Parker

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I'd try re-seating the RAM you installed, or re-installing the old RAM. It's possible that you're seeing a logic board issue, or a RAM slot issue.

Can you run Apple Hardware test and see if it returns any results?

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201257

3. cerberusss macrumors 6502a

cerberusss

Last time I had such issues, I had the logic board replaced.

4. parkm13 thread starter macrumors regular

I have tried swapping the ram back, didn't seem to help anything. The hardware test won't run for some reason. It just stalls on the grey screen then eventually bring up my login page. Any thoughts on why that would happen?

5. Swiss-G macrumors 6502a

Swiss-G

Have you still got the Applications Install Disc 2 that shipped with the MBP? Try using that to run the AHT.

6. parkm13 thread starter macrumors regular

I do have it, however not with me at school. It's as about 4 hours away. Any other options?

I took it into an apple store and had them run a test, I would assume it is the same one. The only thing that threw any warning was the SSD failed SMART status. They said other than that everything looks normal.

I really don't want to put anymore money into this (like buying a new SSD) if it won't fix the problem. It is starting to get old and I have been tossing around the idea of just getting a new one, but that's not exactly in the budget right now.

7. Swiss-G macrumors 6502a

Swiss-G

Did the Genius perform a basic or extended test?

With regards to the SSD you mentioned its an Intel drive. They typically have three to five year warranties so you should be able to get a replacement under warranty if it is failing. Any idea what the SMART status check reported?

In any event ensure that your data is backed up.

8. Swiss-G macrumors 6502a

Swiss-G

9. parkm13 thread starter macrumors regular

I am not sure if he did the basic of extended. I have contacted Intel, they said it will take a few weeks to send in my old drive before I get a new one. That means a few weeks without my laptop. I can make that work, but I would like to be sure that is the problem first, as I'm not convinced.

All they said was that it wasn't SMART supported and that sometimes that can be a sign the drive is starting to go. From everything I have read so far though, when an SSD dies it all goes out at once. Plus, some of my issues don't seem to be caused by a bad drive. Hence my confusion.

10. Swiss-G macrumors 6502a

Swiss-G

Did the Apple Genius provide any kind of report after the test which gives the SMART status results?

Intel SSDs provide a series of SMART attributes which give hints on the current health of the SSD. If you have Windows installed in Bootcamp you could try installing the Intel Solid State Drive Toolbox which would give you a better idea about the health of the drive.

11. parkm13 thread starter macrumors regular

There was no report. I don't have bootcamp set up either, so no Toolbox for me.