Strange 3G network behavior

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Travisimo, Jul 3, 2010.

1. Travisimo macrumors 6502a

I live in an area with very good 3G coverage (Quad Cities, IL/IA). Since I upgraded to the iPhone 4 on launch day, I have consistently been getting between 3-5 mbps down and 1.5 mbps upload speeds. The upload speed, in particular, was several times faster than what I got on my 3GS.

However, since 7/1 the network speeds over 3G have drastically reduced. Running the same speed tests (Speedtest.net App), I am now getting at most 2 mbps down and only around 100 kbps up! The upload speed went from 1600 to 100 and will not go any higher no matter where I am or what server I pick. I am testing in the same areas that I did before and nothing else has changed (same reception, same location, same server, etc). I tried different servers with the same results.

What could be going on here? Perhaps some AT&T maintenance in my area? I do not believe it to be congestion because it's the same even very late night or in the morning. Just started two days ago and has not gone any higher no matter what.

It's not the antenna issue because I'm using the same case as before as well. The only thing I can think of is something on AT&T's end. Any other ideas?

2. Travisimo thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wow, going on 4 days now with this same issue. It's almost like they capped the upload speed to 100 kbps now! I was cruising along ever since launch day at 1600 kbps upload and now it won't go over 100! Download speeds are down some, but I still manage about 2 mbps so that's not as much of a concern. I've tried this at every time of day and in different locations around town. I don't know what's going on. I guess I'll have to stop in at the AT&T store and see if they know about it.

Are those of you guys who live in an upgraded area still getting the ~1600 kbps upload speeds?

3. Megalobyte macrumors 6502a

If you're using the speedtest app, have you tried using a few different servers?
    I find each server has periods where the speeds suffer.

Sioux City Iowa, and ft lauderdale give decent speeds right now.

4. aaroninoh macrumors newbie

I have been wondering about this as well! Glad to know that its not only me or my phone. The exact same thing is happening here in Columbus, OH. What the heck is going on? I hope it doesn't last.

5. dallas112678 macrumors 6502a

Around 6 PM on last night was getting consistently 3.5 MBs DL and now i am getting around 1.3 MBs

6. Travisimo thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, going on four days here. Tried many servers in the speedtest app, downloads fluctuate a bit, but no uploads over 100 kbps no matter what. Maybe it's just a temporary issue, but 100 kbps uploads is horrible. It takes forever just to upload one photo.