Strange 3gs battery behaviour

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by londonmystery, Aug 3, 2009.

1. londonmystery macrumors 6502

londonmystery

So here goes, I charge my 3gs daily and when I go to bed take it upstairs with me. The phone is obviously not touched during the night. When I wake up and check emails etc the battery is at 80% or less. This then causes me to check the usage. Strange but it shows at least 1.5 hours usage every morning. How can it be when it hasn't been touched. So 20% or more battery loss and 1.5 hours of usage on a phone thats been on standby for 8 hours while I sleep. Very odd. :):)

2. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Do you have push turned on? Or wifi? Even if you don't just being idle will cause your phone to drain. It will drain even faster if you have weak or no cell phone signal.

3. londonmystery thread starter macrumors 6502

londonmystery

Push and wifi are both on, BT is off and so is location services. The drain isn't so worrying, what is concerning me is the usage of 1.5 hours or more daily when I have been asleep and no one has touched the phone.:):)

4. za9ra22 macrumors 6502

That usage means the phone is active doing something. Given you have push enabled, it likely means the iPhone is trying to access mail servers overnight to check for email.

Wifi on won't cause the problem in itself because unlike cellular networks, the iPhone doesn't need to regularly poll a wifi network to make sure it's still there - it on;y connects when it's active.

I'd try an experiment. Tonight, turn push off, charge the iPhone to max and then put it down for the night. Check it in the morning. If your iPhone shows a much reduced period of activity, then push is the cause.

I have push off but wifi and BT on, and each morning my iPhone shows about 8 hours standby, and a couple of minutes active, with a 95% battery.

5. londonmystery thread starter macrumors 6502

londonmystery

I'd try an experiment. Tonight, turn push off, charge the iPhone to max and then put it down for the night. Check it in the morning. If your iPhone shows a much reduced period of activity, then push is the cause.

I might try that and see what happens. Thanks.:):)