Strange 4870 problem

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by akadmon, Dec 15, 2009.

1. akadmon macrumors 68020

I'v run into strange a problem playing streaming video from Netflix on my Apple branded Radeon 4870. Both Safari and Firefox crash when I try to stream Netflix video. Live connecting (i.e, without rebooting) either of my two displays (see sig) to my other card, Nvidia 7300GT, also results in a crash, irrespective of which of the displays is set as the main display (i.e., one to which the menu bar is tied). However, if I unplug from the 4870 and restart the browser (viewed on the display plugged into the 7300GT), I'm able to play the video. If I then reconnect the other display to the 4870 and move the Netflix window to it, I'm still able to play the video. Yay! Unfortunately, when I quit the browser and attempt to stream Netflix video again, I get a fail! :confused:

When this first happened, I thought it was because my 30" ACD is not HDCP compliant; however, as you as you can see from the above description, that's not it (admittedly, Netflix video is not HD quality, so probably not subject to HDCP constraints).

I have no problems playing Netflix video through the 4870 directly (without the unplug/plug workaround) when I'm in Windows via Boot Camp (Win7) or Fusion (XP). On the Mac side, I'm having the same problem both in 10.6.2 and 10.5.7.

2. imagebuddy macrumors newbie

imagebuddy

No Issues In May Setup

I have a very similar set-up to yours a 2006 MacPro2.66 Quad that I upgraded to a 3.0GHz Quad with a processor swap and a 4870 tied to a 23" Cinema Display and a 7300GT to a smaller display. So far I've seen no issues playing back Netflix in Safari. I suggest creating a small partition and loading a flesh 10.6 install and see if you still have the issue.

3. nanofrog macrumors G4

Netflix actually does use HDCP. :eek: :rolleyes:

And I'm thinking the HDCP compliance is the issue, but with OS X. I'm not sure of how well HDCP compliance is in the OS itself, but they've slowly been making components HDCP compliant (hardware). The moving displays around on the cards is tricking it into playing the stream somehow. The details as to why, I'm not certain though. :confused:

4. akadmon thread starter macrumors 68020

The thing is I did not have this issue before I installed the 4870, so if the problem is HDCP related, it's not because OS X is not capable of dealing with it. Rather, it's seems to be the combination of the card (4870) and the OS (both 10.5.7 an 10.6.2).

5. nanofrog macrumors G4

That's what I got out of the 1st post. The 4870 has HDCP compliance, or it wouldn't work under Windows for that purpose. But apparently there's an odd interaction under OS X, and is based in the software (OS X drivers if I had to guess). As Apple's officially not intersted in HDCP compliance (though they have been making changes silently), it makes sense that it would be either non-functional or flakey IMO. ;) :p

6. imagebuddy macrumors newbie

imagebuddy

I don't think it's HDCP as my Apple 23" Display is Not HDCP and Netflix play's fine on my MacPro 1,1 with a 4870. As such I think it's software related, but I can't be sure.

7. gelid macrumors member

It could be related to how HDCP is implemented in the the driver for the 4870. I noticed that when running my original HD2600XT on my '08 Mac Pro, iTunes on OS X will gladly play HD content to any monitor (even non-HDCP compliant). As soon as I installed an XFX4870, iTunes on OS X only will play HD content on HDCP capable displays. I fairly certain this is a limitation implemented in the driver.

Also of note, due to what I assume is HDCP handshaking issues, one of my HDCP capable displays (a 22" Acer) has the jumping cursor issue when connected to the 4870 and will not play HD content in iTunes. It works fine when connected to the HD2600XT.